USB to Serial Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gene

Beta member
I have a program that uses a piece of external hardware that connects to my comp via a serial cable and COM port but I do not have a COM port on my laptop but instead several USB ports. I bought a USB to Serial cable and connected the serial end to the hardware and the USB end to my laptop but when I run the program it does not recognize that the hardware is attatched despite the fact the use of a USB to serial cable is listed as an option for connecting the hardware by the manufacturer.

The thing is that when I prompt the software at look for available COM ports on my laptop it shows that there is in fact a port listed as "COM3" and that it is working but does not find the hardware on that port. Ive tried connecting the hardware via each of the 4 USB ports I have hoping that one of them is "COM3" but to no avail.

I have another desktop in another room in my house which has a COM port on which the hardware works great. Is there any way I could install a COM port on my laptop and get this thing to work!?!

-Thanks for reading, I know its a little long :)

The hardware is a programmable microcontroller and the software is the compiler for it. The USB to serial cable did come with a driver that I've installed.

Is getting a USB port to act as a COM port something that one should have no trouble doing or is it something thats a bit iffy?

it is a bit iffy but it should be achievable. if i were you i would try to stick to using the desktop with the COM port if possible. messing around with an adapter and programing micro-controllers in my opinion seems a little risky. i know it will cost more money but if all else fails you should be able to find a usb microcontroller programmer.

Is it possible to have a COM port built into the motherboard of a laptop somehow? Is there a large infastructure for a COM port built into a COM equipped motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom