switchin windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

babino15

Beta member
im gonna go switch my grandma's computer from windows 95 to 98 or higher, so i have to reformat her computer to do so, or something else, and if so, how?

There is no use in upgrading a Windows 95 computer to 98, it will just run slower if it only has 16 or 32MB of RAM, and the PC doesn't have USB support anyways, so you don't get the extras that 98 offers. Just convince her to get a $299 emachines or Dell.

I deal with Windows 95ers daily, so I know more about this topic than most, and I know its not worth the upgrade. Just get a new PC.

yeh but they're old, they dont wanna buy a new one.. and i just need it to install highspeed internet on, because the software wont dowload unless the PC is win 98 or higher

you could upgrade the RAM by adding a 128 MB stick. That would give about 192 MB RAM total, more than enough for 98.

beedubaya said:
There is no use in upgrading a Windows 95 computer to 98, it will just run slower if it only has 16 or 32MB of RAM, and the PC doesn't have USB support anyways, so you don't get the extras that 98 offers. Just convince her to get a $299 emachines or Dell.

I deal with Windows 95ers daily, so I know more about this topic than most, and I know its not worth the upgrade. Just get a new PC.

Win95 and 98 have usb support....

the fastest processer I've seen on a 95 machine is 300 mhz. don't run 2000 or xp on a machine uness it have a bare minium 500mhz and 192 ram. you can run it on less. but trust me, it isn't worth the hassle

95 machines usually came with 16MB or 32MB of RAM. There was a few who had 64MB, but I don't think anybody stated that this was a 64MB case. Look in the paper, people are nearly giving away older pentium 3s and stuff which will be worlds better than that thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom