how to duel boot xp pro and vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlr

In Runtime
hi guys can someone tell if its possible to duel boot xp pro and vista

Yes i have sucessfully Dual Booted my XP Pro and Vista. Many different builds of Vista too. Builds 5112, 5219, 5231, 5259, and build 5270. Only build 5270 gave me some problems after the install. I lost my XP boot.ini but i figured out a way to get them both back.

So the answer to your question is yes.

thanks for your quick reply, did you have to install vista on the primary partion for it too work corectly

I have XP as my Primary partition. I always used Vista as my second OS. Since it is in Beta and not capable of running my games i have to dual boot. You might run into some problems depending on which build of Vista you are installing. Let me know which build and i will have a better idea of what you are up against.

im installing 5270,well at least i hope so im having real problems partitioning my hard drive,im using norton partition magic to format it but everytime i restart it hasnt created it,im currently using windows xp 64 bit edition too so i dont know if that will cause probs with vista

Well the only major problem you will have with that setup is that Partition Magic is only active within Windows. When you boot from the DVD it is before the Partition Magic has initiated and that is why you dont see it when you try to install Vista.

The only thing i can say is to get Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image and make an image of your XP. Then using the XP disc or Vista disc make partitions. Then go in and put you XP image back on. Then install Vista.

I know this sounds like a lot of work. It is. I am sorry to say but unless someone can give you a better way you are going to have to do this in order to try out Vista. Either that or use a boot disk from Partition Magic so it can recognize the drivers and maybe you can install that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom