Overclocking a 7800gt graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

stainer711

In Runtime
The first time i tried overclocking my card using coolbits i raised the card 30 mhz on the memory and .1 ghz on the processor. My 3dmark05 scores went down one thousand. I put back all the settings, and the score is back up. I don't know if i should attempt to overclock the card anymore. Its idle temperature is 45 degrees, and its full temp is about 60 (when playing FEAR. Isn't this a bit high? What would you suggest i do? It is a jaton px7800gt 256 mb video card. Would unlocking some pipelines help? I really don't know what to do to increase performance. My 3dmark05 score is only 6880 with a 3700+ amd 64 processor and a gig of ram. I am running forceware 81.98. Does my video bios matter at all?

The video drivers can give you boosts in scores. I increased my 05 score a few hundered points by updating the drivers from the 79.xx or whatever came with the card.

What are the stock speeds on your card?

Unlocking the pipes is usually hit or miss...... cant be guaranteed it will work.

The temps arent too high. GPUs can take a lot of abuse, **** my 7800gt goes up to 77-80C when in BF2, COD2, etc.

Stock Speeds: 4.0./1.0. Is this what 7800gt's normally are set on? I get 40-130 fps on fear on max, and the same on cs:s. When not overclocked i get a score of 6880 on 3dmark05.

Try going into the propeties and try the auto optimal overclock or w/e it is. When i did that, my 06 score jumped a couple hundred points but when i went past that, the card started overheating and downclocking. The score than dropped by about 1000. I think it might be overheating.

Vybuni, what drivers are you using currently on yours? Because mine are the 8.1.9.4 drivers. My card gets up too about 70C and i believe it starts downclocking. The speeds were also slower than yours, maybe i just got a bad ocing card. :'(

Ive changed drivers so many times in the past few weeks...... 82.12, 82.12 tweaked, 81.98, 83.40. Right now im using 83.40

Suprisingly a good tool is the ATItool. It does work on Nvidia cards, and works well. I especially like the artifact tool. It lets you see how much you can overclock without artifacting.

Yes, that is what my card is set on. When i installed coolbits and did automatic overclocking it boosted it to 450 mhz/ 1.10 ghz. I then experienced artifacting. I then toned it down to 4.3 ghz/1.10 ghz, and then my 3dmark05 score went down 1,000. Maybe Jaton cards just don't OC well. I think that maybe the processor speed increase is killing me. Should i attempt to maybe try oc'ing again to maybe 450mhz/ 1.05 ghz to see if my problems go away? If i keep tweaking the card like this is it likely i will damage it? I want to find a nice setting but am afraid i may totally screw up the card. I thought that maybe if i don't go beyond the threshold of what was recommended i may have to tone down the card's settings and will get no permanent damage.

You cant really damage video cards by overclocking them. ****, ive set mine to about 600/1400 to see what would happen. The computer froze, but the card works just fine after i set it to what i use.

Well, i tried overclocking on various settings, and my 3dmark score jumped one thousand points, but my actual gameplay did not. I saw artifacting with any little bit of overclocking i did. I'll just leave it on default. After all 6850 on 3dmark05 is not really all that terrible.

usually you probably will see no difference in the slightest overclock, only really in benchmarking

I would think its overheating, if it goes up to automial speeds then artifacts, which would be caused by overheating and overclocking too far, but if you put a nice zalman heatsink on paired with some AS5, i think you will be good to go.

Should have gone with eVGA ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom