need anti static wristband

Status
Not open for further replies.

fr34ky

!!GAMER!!
Okay havent built or messed with my PC in a while and somehow misplaced two anti-static wrisband's:angry: Iam building a computer today and I dont want to wait so I was wondering what can I do so I dont cuase any harm to the pc when Iam building it.Like how to I ground myself before and when Iam touching the par and what do I ground it to.Would it help to do it on wood flooring with a rubber matt.Ill be doing it on wood flooring for sure.PLZZZZZ HELP

@quest1on: The anti-static wristband is actually a really useful tool. Your laughing at it causes me to think that you don't know much in the way of taking safe measures.

@f34ky: Whenever i don't use my anti-static wristband, i just touch a bare part of metal in the case after opening the computer. Try to move your feet as little as possible, unless you are working on a wood or cement floor. As long as you don't move your feet much, and touch a bare piece of metal in the case, you're good. If people are around, try not to let them touch you as they may have a buildup of static and it can go off on you.

yo buddy dont take this so serious is ur computer like ur life.. i was aking wat type of wristband it was and u didnt even answer it

I think ill just order one cuase Ill be risking to much money its a Fx-60 cpu and I forgot to get a wristband from newegg the more I think about it the more it scares me.Its too easy to tuch your case and when Iam putting the parts in the case I cant see how I wont be able to tuch the case when I put in the mobo.

An antistatic wristband is exactly that. It grounds you so you don't build up static and fry anything in a brand new build. I take it you've never built your own pc because chances are you'd zap something expensive. It's not very funny when a little carelessness sets you back a few benjamins as well as valued time....

PS that system you have /\/\/\ must be animal. 3.2 FX? SLI'd GTX's? :eek: Yikes!

You can also pick one up at a CompUSA or something if there is one by you. If you cant get one just take Snake-Eyes' advice, and take off your socks.

quest1on said:
yo buddy dont take this so serious is ur computer like ur life.. i was aking wat type of wristband it was and u didnt even answer it

Maybe if you used english he could understand your question so he could answer it?

I have built many computers and never use one. It's always in the back of my head that I should, but don't. Like said above, I touch the case and work on a non-carpeted floor. If you have a rubber mat, use it. Technically you could use an anti-static wristband or a rubber mat. Of course both is even safer.

BennyV04988 said:
An antistatic wristband is exactly that. It grounds you so you don't build up static and fry anything in a brand new build. I take it you've never built your own pc because chances are you'd zap something expensive. It's not very funny when a little carelessness sets you back a few benjamins as well as valued time....

PS that system you have /\/\/\ must be animal. 3.2 FX? SLI'd GTX's? :eek: Yikes!

Like I said I misplaced it and yes I've built many Pc's.Yeah Ill check best buy since compUSA is like 45 mins from my house.
They will probaly charge $20 for it, Knowing "Worst Buy"
OH yeah its like a beast!!

A wristband isn't needed. Make a habit of touching either the metal of the case chassis or even better the metal of the power supply. This will discharge any harmful ESD and prevent damage to sensitive components inside your PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom