Im dumb, a total noob and i got some questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

reiko_ambrose

Baseband Member
Ha, so, I figured this is where I should come instead of "wingin it" like I usually do. Cause I usually just end up screwin myself...

So heres what I did, I went to newegg.com and bought a video card, a PCI-E16 card, cause I thought it was the same as PCI (I now know the truth) and it doesn't fit (yeah, total noob)

Well anyways, looking through some of their PCI cards, I decided I hate dell and this overpriced shitbox that I've had for a year, and instead of returnign the video card, I've decided to just buy some parts and throw together a new PC, one that will run WoW and CS:S on settings above LOWEST and get more than 15FPS.

So heres what I need to know.
1st- what type of motherboard should I get (needs to have the PCI-E slot)
2nd- what kinds of things from this dell should I keep? i mean what can I save some money on?
3rd- can i use this windows XP disk that came with the dell?

basicly- i just want to know all the stuff i will need, im not worried about how much it'll cost cause I'll just buy liek, one thing everytime i get a check...

so heres what i know- i need a motherboard... (yeah, a noob)

anything anyone can tell me would be greatly appreciated.

thanks for reading :)

oh also, my email is reiko5a@hotmail.com, so anyone can email me cause i have a feeling i will need alot of help with this since im tired of screwing stuff up. thanks

Why would he get a new video card? The motherboard is excellent for what your going to be doing. Your probably going to have to build a new system all together so tell us your budget and we shall set you up.

my budget is- hmmm...... i dont know, i guess i dont mind spending 8 or 9 hundred, but like i said, im not buying it all at once.

and I already have a video card, radeon x800 gto2, thats the thing, it doesnt work in my current (worthless) dell and im gonna put a new one together, i just look at it like i bought the video card first..

so, that motherboard is good?

thanks

hey thanks, that looks like solid stuff, and yeah the vid card seemed nice im just stupid about what all the letters and numbers mean.. like PCI, AGP (yes, i've bought an AGP card from compu.s.a before too.. also, compusa=HUGE ripoff)

but thanks for the info, also, could you maybe tell me a good site with instructions for putting it together, i just dont wanna blow something up.

but Thanks :) that stuff for around 570.00
will it be fast?

edit- i like this case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811154054
will it all fit? and also, i took a picture of where i want the pc to go, same place it is now, just wondering if it will fit under my desk

heres a pic-
pcdizzle.jpg

and again thanks

another edit- also, i rely on USB for my internet card, and printer, and digital camera so how do i know if i can still use USB? is that a motherboard thing? if so does that one support USB? how can you tell?
heh sorry for the noob questions i just wanna get it right

annnnnd another edit- Right now all i have is a CD-reading drive, no burning or even DVD reading capabilities, could you suggest a good one of those too? i dont need to burn DVD's but i would liek to burn CD's and be able to read DVDs. ty

How tall is your current Dell? that looks the old case my roomie has the same case. I recommend the Centurion 5, awesome case with lots of room and super sturdy and cool.

Linky:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811119068

They have some other colors if you like a different setup. The forton is a great PSU. All of the Other components look great.

As for the CD/R/RW and DVD+-R/RW or just watchers I don't know much but it looks better if they match your case and since you will be buying them might as well get black.

mmm that is a cool case :) i like it but it looks tall, and i can put it else-where, just i've always like having this one right here. sooo it will all fit right? thats my main concern with the case, i dont really know how big all this stuff is, i just know this video card is massive lol

and thanks juststarting123, thats exactly what i needed to know ;)

I just though of something.You could easily save some money if you just sold the whole dell (keeping the monitor and everything, just sell the tower) and bought a new hard drive and optical drive.

DVD Burner

Hard drive

The setup I reccomended is incredibly fast and you will not be dissapointed. I don't think the case will fit under your desk though. There are plenty of usb ports. There are 4 in the back, I think you get 2 extra one's in the box (not sure but it cme with mine) and something like 2 or 4 for the front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom