Wireless Network Connection Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

gill501

Baseband Member
Finally have set up my Belkin Wireless Router and configured it for connection to the internet and to my network. But.. in the Status section of the web based setup utility it does say my Internet is "Connected" so how come I cant view any web pages! What have I missed?

I have a PC running XP Prof and a Laptop running XP Home. My ADSL Modem is connected to the router with a Cat5 Cross-over cable and my PC connected to the router with a cat6 straight through cable. My Laptop has a Belkin Wireless Notebook Network Card installed.

I've followed all the manuals to configure it and all lights that should be lit up are! Just can't get an internet connection now, any ideas ? Thanks in advance.

You need to use a straight-through cable to the router from the modem instead of a crossover cable. Your "connected" because the status pin on the crossover cable and the straight-through cables are the same. But you cannot "connect" and view any pages because you need to have a stright trough cable from the modem instead.

-Mike

OK have changed the cables from the router to the modem as you said, but still having no luck. Should the cable connecting the PC to the router be a straight through aswell?

Yeah, don't use any crossover cables. Make sure your wireless card on your laptop is turned on.

Ok thanks. Well now have sorted out the right cables but with still no luck getting an internet connection. My LAN lights are on so the modem and the router are deff connected and my laptop network card is on and working too. When i open my browser the modem "activity" light flashes but i still get the "Cannot find server" page. I'm sure its probably something really obvious but as im new to this i dont know what else to check!

Disable and then re-Enable your LAN connection. Since it wasn't connected before, it probably defaulted to the Windows standard 169.x.x.x address. Click Start > Settings > Network and Dial Up Connections. Right-click on your wireless or LAN connection and click Disable. After it has been greyed-out, right click again and Enable. Then try connecting again.

-Mike

Still No but there is a difference in that the activity light on the modem seems to flash more regularly and MSN messenger on both the PC and Laptop keep trying to sign in on their own. Am I getting closer!?

I had and am still having the same problem. However, we had to reconfiguare the box and put a key code on it because it was mainly do to outside interference. If it says connected and you are not connected that is not un heard of as it has happened to me and you are not missing anything. Many times the fault lies with your provider! You just have to keep reinstalling it until it works, and also make sure its on a comp virus free o else it will talk back and fourth all day

My computer is definately virus free. Beginning to think its the way ive configured it, most of it was "french" to me! so i muddled my way through it lol!

Click start > run and type 'cmd' and then at the prompt type 'ipconfig'
What displays as your IP and gateway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom