[NVIDIA G80 & ATi R600 Info]

Status
Not open for further replies.
sickness said:
I don't think you understood my post, maybe I didn't even understand it.

Point is, with my Ultra, I was able to play all the games a 7800GT/X could play, maybe not with the settings cranked on high, but on certain games I was able to do that. I was worried when you said people who are thinking about getting a 7800 series card wait until the G80, since I'm getting a 7800GTX but I realized that the GTX will play games just fine, like my 6800Ultra did when the 7800GTX was the top card.

The G80 supports DX10 though, so if you want to play Far Cry 2 with DX10 effects, you will need the G80, and DX10 rendering is supposed to be 8 times faster than DX9 rendering. That may be exaggerating, but there's no doubt its going to be a big jump.

sickness said:
****...I just got a GTX too.

Will the G80 be to the 7800GT as the 7800GT is to the 6800Ultra/GT? If so, then I'm not worried about my GTX at all. My old laptop with a Go Ultra in it ran games just fine, including F.E.A.R.
Well assuming the specs on that site end up being correct, then as somebody else said, the G80 will be to the 7800GT as the 7800GTX is to an FX5900. It is susposed to have 64 pipes, more than double that of the 7800GTX. It is also susposed to have an 800MHz core speed, where as the GTX is only 430MHz. It is also susposed to have 512MB of GDDR4 memory with a max speed of 2.5GHz, versus the 256mb of 1.25GHz GDDR3 memory on the GTX. In fact, it is more powerful than two 7800GTX's in SLI. It's also going to support DX10 and WGF 2.0.

WRONG...there is nooo evidence that DX10 will not be supported on 7800GT/GTX X1900XTX whatsoever. This is all hearsay. How do you think that "Crysis" DX10 video came out last july?? You think they lent a G80 to crytek?! Its not special hardware. Its simply performance. Many of the pieces of DX10 support can be found on the X1900XT/X.
Theres no telling what it will take to run DX10 so don't say that you need a special video card. MS isn't that stupid....There like a half Trillion dollar company...come on buddy

What are you talking about? Both the 7800 and X1900 series cards are already out, and they don't support DX10.

That'll really **** me off if the 7800 series won't run DX10.

I'm one of those people who love amazing graphics, but not enough to buy a 600 dollar video card. Oh well, the GTX will hold me off for years.

Man, when are they gonna start using 512-bit memory?

I was wondering the same thing ... Thank god for GDDR4 memory though, if they didn't implement that, video cards with 1024mb of memory would start to lag.

im tellin ya...dont lose hope on DX10. directx 9 isn't maddd picky. They wouldnt abandon their cards like that.

beedubaya said:
With these comming so soon, I would advise anybody thinking about getting a 7800 series card to wait, because the 7800 GT/X is going to start struggling and feeling very dated very soon, probably when Oblivion hits. I plan on upgrading to the G80, and hopefully this one lasts me a while.

"Struggling and Feeling outdated?" You're kidding me, right? The top, $450 card right now, feeling outdates while not a single game out there struggles with it? Dream on man. You have some kind of technological outdatedness disease. Next we know, you'll be saying that the G80 is getting outdated because Nvidia is prepping the G90s for launch... :rolleyes:

The 7800GT/X will own up Oblivion. Anyone that has it, don't worry, Oblivion isn't even a DX10 game and neither is Unreal Tournament 2007 or Gears of War. The 7800GTX is good for atleast another year. Look at GeForce 6, its coming into its third year now (It launched April '04 or something) and its still going strong. Show me one person who can't run BF2 maxed out with a GeForce 6800GT/GS (who is not having abnormal issues).

ulater6000 said:
When does the g80 come out?

June '06. And then ATI launches R600 at the end of the yeat. Havok is absolutely correct, its a tug-of-war. Point is, Nvidia is always the first one who comes out with the new generation of videocards :)

003 said:
Well assuming the specs on that site end up being correct, then as somebody else said, the G80 will be to the 7800GT as the 7800GTX is to an FX5900. It is susposed to have 64 pipes, more than double that of the 7800GTX. It is also susposed to have an 800MHz core speed, where as the GTX is only 430MHz. It is also susposed to have 512MB of GDDR4 memory with a max speed of 2.5GHz, versus the 256mb of 1.25GHz GDDR3 memory on the GTX. In fact, it is more powerful than two 7800GTX's in SLI. It's also going to support DX10 and WGF 2.0.

Beed said it would be like the 6800Ultra to the FX5900, which isn't a bad comparison, except for the FX series being a flop. But 7800GT to the FX5900? Don't think so. And 64 pipelines? *Bangs head against wall* When will they learn...didn't you learn anything from the X1900? Pixel/Shader Processor != Pipeline. And 64 pipes...how can you not look at that and instantly know that its Bullsh!t.

GeForce 8 = 48 pipes MAX.

BennyV04988 said:
WRONG...there is nooo evidence that DX10 will not be supported on 7800GT/GTX X1900XTX whatsoever. This is all hearsay. How do you think that "Crysis" DX10 video came out last july?? You think they lent a G80 to crytek?! Its not special hardware. Its simply performance. Many of the pieces of DX10 support can be found on the X1900XT/X.
Theres no telling what it will take to run DX10 so don't say that you need a special video card. MS isn't that stupid....There like a half Trillion dollar company...come on buddy

There is and has always been evidence that the 7800GT/X and 7900 and X1900 DO NOT support DX10. Thats a fact. And don't talk unless you know what you're talking about. DX10 games run on DX9 cards, but not in DX10 mode, got that?

I had a 6800 Ultra and I couldn't run BF2 on high settings..

That could of been because of the 1 GB of memory

or the Pentium M processor...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom