computer randomly shutting off ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

skip2maicu

Solid State Member
Hi all,

recently my computer has been experiencing random shut offs. these shut offs occur before startup on occassion and afterwards. I thought since i was running on stock intel fan that cpu was overheating, but upon replacing it i still have shut off problems. this is sucking big time since it is now essay season and i can't rely on my computer. HELP!

Thats almost always a PSU problem. If it were anything else, you would be getting artifacts or a blue screen of death. Since its just shutting off, my money is on the power supply.

hey thanks for the reply. do you think its because there is not enough power? or is there just not enough quality power? things are starting to come together since this problem didn't realy occur until a week into having a tv tuner.

a 600w cant handle all that? im thinking either your power cord is loose, or the PSU is shot.

What are your CPU temperatures during gaming? It is either a defective PSU (Which is more than capable to power your setup and then some) or your processor is overheating and shutting down to protect itself.

PSU PSU PSU.......get out your multimeter and back test every power connection to that mobo: 12v rail; 20/24 pin and the grounds. If gounds show leakage (more that .0010vdc) then your mobo is toast. Probably the PSU and I'll bet you see that the 12v rail is fluctuating heavily under full load. Then replace the power supply. However, you can just swap out the PSU with another for test purposes and see if it boots and runs noramlly. How old is that 600 st (which a really hefty PSU) PSU?

it could always be something you just installed.......when i installed a virus scanner.....bit defender i think it was........my computer kept restarting for no apparent reason.......also it could be your ram........i had faulty ram that caused me computer to restart at random intervals.......so i mean check those out also.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom