Hard drive issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHAWN

Field Engineer
Ok guys, I got one for you.

Maxtor hard drive in a 98 box will not boot. I receive the following error "operating system not found."

I installed this drive on its own channel on my PC and the bios does see the drive, BUT Windows does not. If I go to disk management, the drive is NOT there as well. In device manager, the maxtor drive does show up and displays that it is working normally.

I started EasyRecovery and it does see the drive and its in the beginning stages of recovering the files. It has been searching for the start of the volume for a good 15 minutes now.

Any ideas as to why this drive shows up in device manager and in the bios, but not in Windows or Disk Management?

I am baffled.

try another hard drive and if that doesn't work well you know get the sledge hammer!!! JK!!! LOL

you should know what to do and if not you should get rid of that lord techie and give it to someone who is a lord techie!!!

And that wouldn't be me cause I'm so not a lord techie but I know more than most people about computers I mean most people don't even know how to turn on computers!!!

If you dont have an answer then please dont answer. Lord techie comes with the post count, I didnt make it. No one has all the answers and a good technician knows when to admit it and research the problem. Please do not respond to any more of my threads.

In which IDE channel is that drive? Is it cable select or slave/master. Looks to me like your OS is trying to boot from that drive. The fact that the bios finds the drive is not really very helpfull. If that HD has a bad controller chip, your bios will find the HD and the device manager (your OS idiot box which just tells you what your bios already knows) will register the device as working but will not assign it a drive letter because there is no I/O data stream. You need to slave that drive and run chkdsk or scandish (ME, 98SE or earlier). I'll bet chkdsk of scandisk will not mount the drive volume because of a failed HD controler chip. Let me know what you find.

I run it on IDE channel 2 as a master with nothing else on the cable.

How can I run checkdisk if I cannot see the drive? I tried to navigate to the drive from dos but its an invalid drive specification. I also ran Winternals and BartPE to no avail. I tried using ghost to do a sector copy and it could not see the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom