First Time Builder Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cracktout

Solid State Member
Can I Run An ATA150 HD with An ATA100 Mobo?
ie
Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive

with a

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard

Better To Run Big Rails Of RAM or A Couple Small Ones To Get To Your Goal?

Raptor 10k RPM's Worth It?

Im Sure Ill Have More.
:D

The harddrive and the mobo should work together fine. As for RAM, i dont honestly know, either 2x 1 gig or 4x 512 will suit your goals fine. For Raptors, Ive never owned one, so i cant say. maybe someone who has one can offer some input

For the RAM, if you're referring to say, 2GB of RAM, it's better to get 2x 1GB and dual channel them than 1x 2GB. The dual channeled 2x 1GB will give you better performance.

if you got the money the raptors are definately worth it. they run a little hot so make sure your case has good cooling. whatever size memory you want split it in half and get 2 dual channel sticks.

good to know, but what about if i ran a set up of a Raptor and another non-10k HD in RAID 0? would that be a decent setup?would it even work?
here is another one i just thought of...

what PSU should i shoot for? i just purchased a XION Silver XION II XON-102 Computer Case With Side Panel Window and im not sure if the power supply will be suffient for what im aimimg for. im getting a 939 DFI LAN party Mobo, prolly 3700AMD San Diego L2 1MB CPU, 2 GB of SDRAM, 2x ATA HD's Prolly 240Gig Total PCIe GFroce 6800GT Graphics Card And A Few Good Fans. whatcha THink??

not sure all that above is enough info to give me a accurate response if you need more lemme know. i am semi computer literate and just jumping into the internal components of one with my first build.

thanks for all the pm's guys they helped alot. just 2 more questions and ill be out of your life

whats the timing mean on Ram ie (3-2-2-6)

on graphics cards whats Memory Type GDDR3 mean as far as compatibility and newest equip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom