Advice on "BEST" Database Program to use for ___?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mersyone

Baseband Member
Hello all,

I am COMPLETELY NEW to the Database Software stuff. I'm just looking for the best (yet easiest) software to mainly manage records of contacts, stores, etc. I'm an independent recording artist/producer and I've been convinced to use a good database program for keeping records of "Local Retail Stores", "Nightclubs", "Event Promoters, "National Distributors", "Email addresses", etc.

However, one particular thing I want to do is upload this database online and share it with my affiliates and let them update it?

Is there any software out there that can do this and possibly more?
I've heard FileMaker pro8 and MS Access 2003 are the TOP 2 right now?
But which one would be easier to use? Again, I'm a newbie at this stuff.

But I'm using both a PC and MAC. ...Is Access EASIER? If so, I'll go that ruot and won't bother with the Mac.

Access is a good bet, but OpenOffice is free. I haven't tried the latter, myself, but I haven't a need for a DB program at the moment.

Just remember tha t Google is your friend when it comes to Access.

Opps sorry, I thought you meant google can be integrated with it, lol!

YES, yes, I did do my research (I am not armless, just misunderstood)
(Here is what I found out: The below text is what I've posted via some other forum. I just CUT N' PASTED my reply):::::

(START)
I read in some music industry articles written by industry-professionals (from the "Indie Bible", etc.) and from the looks of it, it seems "FILEMAKER PRO" is the easiest and most flexible route to go. Versus Access, it's both PC & Mac compatible (like u said), and although it may not have as many complicated functions as Access, it's a tad slightly easier to learn because you don't have to be "as" knowlegable in the computer programming language.

check out this website; this was a good resource for info:
http://www.filemaker.com/downloads/..._comparison.pdf
And to add to your point;
There was an article I found called "DATABASE TIPS", written by Derek Sivers, CEO of "CD Baby". In there he lists the best programs to use, in order, and they were as follows: 1: FileMaker Pro, 2: MS Works, 3: ACT, 4: MS Access, 5: MS Outlook.
(END)

(again, my bad! thought I'd also ask on the comp tech forums being that you guys are more prone to computer programming databases).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom