Question for the tech guys...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phaint

Solid State Member
For about 2 weeks now I have been having problems with my computer, from out of nowhere I get random reboots. I could be just surfing the web and boom my pc reboots, sometimes it happens once or twice a day but some days it happens back to back and even as its loading bios it just freezes, but that only happened like 2-3 times, normally it reboots just fine and might be another 30min til the next reboot, give or take its too random.

Couple days after it started I opened the side panels off the pc to get more ventilation in it but no dice. Its like I hear a whirlllll sound then it reboots.

When I touch the square spikey blocks which I assume are the heatsinks on the video card (ATI Radeon 9800 pro) they are blazing hot, the card itself is pretty hot too so I naturally thought it was that, but when I am sitting on the desktop searching sites, I am not exactly using my cards full power to cause it to overheat(and no I don't OC any of my stuff and yes all 3 normal fans + the 2 from the powersupply are working fine)

I was told it could be the power supply or the ram messing up. I am currently using a 460 watt power supply from Enermax, and 2 512 sticks of corsair if that helps any. If someone could please give me some insight on what to do, I would very much appreciate it.

It is probably one of the 3 you said, most likley overheating tho.

Go here www.majorgeeks.com and shearch and download "Everest Home Edition"

Once its install go to My computer > sensors and tell us all ur temps.

Or use speedfan to tell temps.

Have you run any antivirus scans recently? Could be a virus of some sort.

Okay I downloaded Everest here is what it says...

Motherboard - 86 degrees F

CPU - Varies from 79-81 degrees F

WDC WD800JB-00ETA0 - 77 degrees F

unless that WDC thing means the video card, I don't see anything here that says Display card or anything like that.

Also says...

Cooling Fans - 2109 RPM
Chassis - 1834 RPM

I don't know if this means anything either

CPU Speed:
CPU Clock 1495.31 MHz (original: 3000 MHz)
CPU Multiplier 15.0x
CPU FSB 99.69 MHz (original: 200 MHz)
Memory Bus 99.69 MHz

Err why does it say 1500 MHZ when I have a p4 3.0?

The WDC is your hard drive. Those temps look fine.

To check you CPU speed, go into the BIOS and see what it set at. The FSB should be at 200MHz. If its not, then set it to 200.

To enter your BIOS, you have to press F1 or Delete when you computer boots up. What you press depends on which BIOS you have. You press the keys when the Computer first starts up. Try pressing it repeatedly until it opens.

set the system failure auto reboot disabled in the startup/recovery in system properties. This will cause the system to freeze up instead of reboot, that way we can get an error message. Then, post it. Wait for a few times to get as many errors as possible to make sure its the same failure.

Whew finally I got into windows... well I guess we can rule out overheating because I just got home and my pc was off all day, and when I went to turn it on, it barely starts to boot and it just does the whiiiiirrrlll sound a couple times then freezes.

I can't tell where it is coming from exactly but is it possible it could be the hard drive failing? I will post the error message after I get them a few times

Phaint said:
Whew finally I got into windows... well I guess we can rule out overheating because I just got home and my pc was off all day, and when I went to turn it on, it barely starts to boot and it just does the whiiiiirrrlll sound a couple times then freezes.

I can't tell where it is coming from exactly but is it possible it could be the hard drive failing? I will post the error message after I get them a few times
if it makes a bad sound, it is usually the hard drive. it is one of the few mechanical parts.

Error - 0x000000D1

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

THAT is the **** error that I keep getting and makes my PC reboot. If anyone can give me some insight on what I can or should do to fix this problem, I would appreciate it very much so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom