X1900XTX and BF2

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeesh, he's asking this because in some games in the past ATI has displayed the shadows in......for lack of a better word "WHACK" ways......I remember in americas army shadows would go through walls instead of being posted on them and anyone with an ATI card could basically know where you were because of that glitch. Back in the soldier of fortune 2 days, whenever someone messaged you in MSN and you had the game running with an ATI card and their message popped up, it'd, for whatever reason, allow you to see through walls.

He's not asking if it can run the game, of course it freakin can, that's some great insight.

This is why the shadows might look blocky P.P. Mguire, Seriously, the posts these days.

I have read that all ati cards have problems with the shadows looking blocky in BF2 because they can't use the code correctly or something like that. I have a ATI card and the shadows are definitely blocky, Its real noticeable when your on a mounted gun. The X1900XTX is a ATI card so I was simply wondering if it will be able to display the shadows correctly?

Calm down nvidia fan-boys you have the same problem with in farcry "blocky shadows" but the BF2 ATI blockyness is much worse.

In F.E.A.R. the shadows are really super nice with my card:D I want shadows like that in BF2.

wow people seem to be really out for the flame today

on the whole nvidia seem to get drivers that work with new games out first as opposed to ati that can take a long time (for example ati cards still can't cope with searing goarge in wow). ati cards are great at times and if it was the era of the 9800pro i would have got that now i would get a 7800GT and i have yet to decide what i buy to upgrade my 6600GT will entirly depend on drivers and performance.

if other people with X****** cards have had the same problem then u can probebly put it down to drivers (not sure but have u tried disabling AA and AF migt do somtin :p ) so getting a faster card won't fix the problem

As far as I remember, I don't play BF2 too often, but I always thought the shadows were supposed to be like that :(, they are on my pc, 3700SD, Sapphire X850XT. It's not my **** pc doing that so neh :p

P.P. Mguire and ferris........ What are your settings in BF2 and what are your settings in the ATI control panel?(screenshots)

I started playing BF2 with a 9600 AGP, Then I upgraded to the X850pro AGP. With both cards, BF2's shadows are blocky, Not all of the shadows and not all of the time. I mostly notice it when I'm on a mounted gun, like the 50 cal. I have the new ATI drivers and latest patch for BF2.

I'll get a screenshot of the blocky shadows at there worst:rolleyes:

The reason the shadows look 'blocky' and 'jagged' in BF2 on ATI Xx00 and older cards is because they lack SM 3.0. On Nvidia 6/7 series cards and ATI X1000's the shadows are smoother and more textured because of the SM 3.0 support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom