an AMD 64 Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabetic

Daemon Poster
Hey all, as some of you know I've got a new build inbound soon, however I'm still wondering about my CPU (Socket 939).

The choices that I've narrowed myself down to are:

an AMD 64 3700
an AMD 64 3800
an AMD 64 3800 X2
or an AMD 64 4000

Which do you reckon would be the best for someone like me whom does both 3D modeling AND a lot of gaming? Now, take into account both price and performance if you would ;)

- Cheers

if you have TWO AMD 64 3800's, that would be like having a pentium 4 4.4 GHz, which could be VERY FAST, games would be great on it, and 3D modeling will seem lightning fast.

But the price would be high for two AMD 64's

talldude123 said:
if you have TWO AMD 64 3800's, that would be like having a pentium 4 4.4 GHz, which could be VERY FAST, games would be great on it, and 3D modeling will seem lightning fast.

But the price would be high for two AMD 64's

I'm sure he meant the dual core AMD:p

I would go with the 3800 X2. I can tell you first hand the a single core 1.8GHz is more than good enough, let alone a dual core that would run things quite nicely. New games are starting to use dual core (which seems to make a pretty big dif in benchmarks), and 3D modelling will definitely get good use out of a dual core.

I say 3800 X2 all the way for you.

If only I had enough arms to both model AND game at the same time :(

Anyways, cheers all 3.8k X2 it is!

oh, if you are using Maya, the dual core is good becasue when you do a batch render the program can take advantage of both cores, ther's an option there you have to check ;)

x2 for sure, but r u sure u dont wanna add a few more dollars for the Opteron 165, its a dual core and its better then the x2 only if they both started at same stock speed, the opteron starts at 1.8 gigs while x2 3800 starts at 2, u can easily get someone to OC ur 1.8 to 2 gigs tho, its almost guaranteed that u can do dat with the opteron 165, nd once its the same speed, it shoud be styll faster becuz of the extra cache, but yea. if its only the choices up ther ^, then x2 3800 for sure.

pc_boy said:
oh, if you are using Maya, the dual core is good becasue when you do a batch render the program can take advantage of both cores, ther's an option there you have to check ;)

damned, I'm a Max monkey. Wonder if Max 8 has a similar rendering function (as fast rendering is 'a tad' useful ;) )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom