Computer wonÂ’t detect my hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

woktheblue

Solid State Member
Hello everyone on this helpful forum. I still have this same problem. When I try booting up my computer the bios only detects one of my DVD-ROM drives and not my hard drive. When I disconnect both of my DVD-ROM (DVD-RW) drives the computer then picks up the hard drive. I have tried everything to sort this problem outÂ…

I have been in the bios and tried auto detect and manually. I have also changed jumper setting and tried new data cables. I have since taken my motherboard back the shop and they replaced it for a new board which is the same as the previous one I had. I have changed memory, fitted a new power supply. Tried a spare hard drive!!! It’s so frustrating... I am wondering now if it has anything to do with my CPU, Celeron 2.00GHZ which I took from a previous computer of mine. “BUT the computer works great with out the DVD-ROM’s”.

What comes up in the post screen is: "Verifying DMI pool data... Disk boot failure, Insert system disk and press enter".

IDE Channel 0 Master [ None ]
IDE Channel 0 Slave [ None ]
IDE Channel 1 Master [ DVD-ROM ]
IDE Channel 1 Slave [ None ]

Motherboard: GigaByte technology co ltd, Ga-8s661fxmp-rz
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Award modular bios v6.00pg 09/27/04
Chipset: sis661 rev17
CPU: Celeron 2.00GHZ
Windows XP Home Edition
Nvidia Geforce 4 MX 440
WD 80gb Hard Drive
Memory: 1024mb on slot A1
Power Supply: 350 watts

Thank you very much if you can HELP! mark

i no u may have tried doing this already as you said you were changin jumpers etc. but put the hard drive on a seperate cable (primary) to the dvd-roms and set it as master and make sure the motherboard end of the cable (usually the plug at the end with the longest distance between plugs). Set one dvd-rom as master and the other as slave or try setting one as master and the other as cable select. Plug the motherboard end of cable in to mo/bo and then the dvd-roms. Try changing around the cable (swapping which plug goes into which drive) as this can make a difference.

i'm having a similar problem. my computer doesnt detect any of my ide devices though. it runs from them though, for instance, when i tried to install xp on a new harddrive, it would run the cd, but then a blue screen came up at the beginning of the setup. i then tried to do it with different hard drives, and it all failed. yesterday, i found an old harddrive with windows 98 on it, so i tried using it, and it boots, but in the beginning, it doesn't show it detected, as in
"IDE Channel 0 Master [ None ]
IDE Channel 0 Slave [ None ]
IDE Channel 1 Master [ None ]
IDE Channel 1 Slave [ None ]"

this proves it works, but it isn't detecting or letting me install xp.

by the way, in case anyone knows what the blue screen was, the error message was "***STOP: 0X0000007B (0xF7C7D63C, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)"

update: I also have a gigabyte motherboard, I wonder if it may be a motherboard issue?

i hate double posting, but i would like help fast, so i am bumping.

one more update: i have checked jumper settings, so i have everything set correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom