Is this psu not enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ste said:
We donn't know your components.

Post links to them.

And just for future reference. regaurdless of what your dad says, Putting components ONTOP of a Anti-Static bag is not a good idea.

As I have said before theres more Static on the outside of the bag since its susposed to keep static out of the bag and protect whatever is inside of it.

Start RMAing Parts.

Anti-static bags are treated to be electrically conductive inside and out. They don't "collect" static electricity on the outside. If that were the case you'd run the risk of discharging the static electricity every time you put a part back into an anti-static bag. Static Electricity builds up on Non conductive surfaces.

Eleaf, Personally I would think there is something wrong with the motherboard. If you tested that psu with another motherboard and it worked, it should also work for your motherboard. For powering a computer with all the accessories including optical drives, hard drives and video cards, yes, that psu is inadequate, but for just getting the motherboard to run the processor and memory. If you're not going to check the BIOS you don't have to install the vga card. Just make sure the processor is installed, the heatsink/fan is installed and plugged into the motherboard and the memory is installed. First things first, when you plug in the 20/24 pin connector and the 4pin 12 volt connector, and turn on the psu, does the green LED on the motherboard light up?

Thank you all for your help. I would think anti static bags don't conduct static inside or out. Thanks for clearing that up.

Yes, when I plug in the power cables, and turn the psu on, the motherboard light turns on.
When I press the power button to turn on the motherboard, everything goes on for a second, but then powers off. Like the gpu fan will go on for just a second, and the cpu fan will sometimes turn on. It does this same thing with the graphics card out of the computer also.
I believe that the green standbye light stays on after this happens.

Thank you for you help! What do you think is up?

So you say it comes on for a second then shuts off? That sounds like you have the 20/24 pin plugged in, but not the 4 pin 12v connection plugged in. It looks sort of like this

OO
OO

Have you made sure that its plugged in properly?

Yes, I am certain that it is plugged in. I have tried reconnecting and everything.

Is the 4 pin one theone with the 12 volt rail. Is it considered the most important?

I'm wondering if that plug is even working, I don't have my multimeter with me. But I really don't even know if it is giving power. I remember having a short with this psu, were it was plugged into a floppy drive, and when powered on, it made some smoke there and such. I wouldn't think that I used the 4 pin connector. But maybe that caused a problem that effected the 4 pin one.

Also, I think that it would be important for you to know, that I never used the 4 pin connector on my other board, it only used the 20 pin connector. It very well may be that the 4 pin connector isn't giving any power? = /

Well, I got that 430 watt power supply a while ago and I have been up and runnin' fine for a few weeks!

Thanks everybody! ; )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom