Vid card, price/performance ratio...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pc_boy

Daemon Poster
When the 7800GTX came out, it was priced at around $500. THen they came out with teh 7800GT, at around $300, with lower pipelines and lower clock speeds. I don't get why if a card has lower clock speeds it sells cheaper. Is it cheaper to manufacture a slower card than a fast card? To me it seems that they are spending the same amount of $$$ to make the 7800GT's and selling them for a lower price. Why doesn't nvidia just discontinue the 7800GT's and drop the 7800GTX's to $330 or so?

not really, i mean the cards cost pretty much the same to make, the silicon and wire stuff is cheap; the card prices are way off

dude, you kidding? those people don't even read letters; they throw them by the dozens in the fireplace everyday without even opening them. I can see why; they get tons of crap from retards saying thigs like "hey you guys are cool" or "hey gimme some money cuz ur rich man!!" or "oh dude, i fryied my 6600GT cuz i didn't know whre to plug it in" and stuff.

I know there must be a reason for the prices, i mean those marketing people or whatever aren't stupid (i don't think...); i just thought someone knew the answer

By selling virtually the same card for more money, they get more money.

After all, your paying alot for the production, not just the product.

but if the lower prices, they will sell more, and that would give better overall profit. if they made the 7800GTX 512 $1500, they would make more profit for each card, but not that many people buy it.

i'm just wondering why they make "budget cards" when they still cost $$$ to make; if they sell the higher end cards for lower price, more people buy them and they can make more profit.

Marketting gimics I think. People usually first consider the amount of money they want to spend before the actual card itself. Well, "most" people IMO. TF is probably not a good representation :)..

So, different people will have different cards to buy in the price range they want. And obviously, ATI and NVidia compete each other for each price range.

yeah, good point. so if they sell the 7800GT for $170, they would sell TONS of them, because it's a good card, and that would make it by far the best for it's price range.

You couldn't say "it costs more to make it, so they don't get profit" but think about it, the 7800GT is eventually gonna cost $170, and that means they can afford to sell it at that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom