Product Key, Activating OS - WinXP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares

In Runtime
My friend gave me a burnt copy of win XP Pro and his product key. I'm building a system soon but wondering if i should even bother with the copy or just go buy my own (with my own key) since microsoft started this thing with activating your OS (using the product key i guess). From what i've read, if my key matches his key, after i activate my OS one of our OS's will be shut down in 120 days and we'd have to keep installing the operating system. This sound about right?

Anyone know any cheap places to buy software? Send links.

You're just asking for trouble if you're using another person's activation. Glad you asked though! ;)
I, personally, would look on eBay. I just took a quick look and people are selling XP Pro with a COA for under $150.

-Mike

make sure you buy from a seller with high number of positive feedbacks or is a ebay power seller. don't get an OEM product. if you try to activate the copy it will work. just don't do that too many times

Well, i'll look around and see what i can find. I haven't seen anything i'd actually buy for less than 200 bucks though. Wow... got the attention of not one, not two, but 3 of the moderators! I feel special now LoL.

The truth is, i'm reluctant to even touch XP. I've used win98 for the last 6 years. I've been on XP, NT, 2000 and ME and i really don't like any of them. NT and 2000 seemed pretty stable and didn't have all the blownup-hype, fancy menu's and other bs that XP has. Whatever though... i'll take the leap into the XP world.

I don't like that whole activation thing though and i'm gonna resist and rebel the whole way!!

if you want another # m$ will give you another one provided you ahve the original .....just telll them that you formatted your drive

Hmmm. If i did that, they'd prob give me the 3rd degree (inquisition) about where i purchased my copy, etc.

I would advise against this. However, they would either say yea sure or no right off the bat. there would be no questioning as it would be like a 1 dollar coin in 5 billion. They might say sure gimme your adress or say no. depends who you talk to

i agree with amd643200+ just tell them that and you'll be fine. i did that a couple of times before and did't have any thrid party questions, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom