All you Smart people wanna tell me about overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMD6415

In Runtime
Ok I am starting to get into computers and I know a little just the basics but I do like to learn new things and I would like to know about overclocking. I have a little bit of an idea about it but I really don't know that much on it and I was just wondering if you could inform me on it. Also what can you overclock I know processors but can you overclock video cards? I would like to know how to overclock a video card if you can, if anyone knows a good way to explain it to me. I just want to know about it mostly and maybe try it if I understand it thanks

well.. .ocing is pushing your CPU and or GPU futher than stock settings ... its really cool and you get better performace for less money .. but its risky ......

Yes, due to the voltage being sent through it, voiding the warranty, and the risk of frying it. The lifespan part is mainly the increased voltage which requires to CPU to run hotter and work harder. The lifespan will be decreased, but usually it's not enough to make a difference before you are needing an upgrade again (years).

I'm going for my A+ Core Hardware Test I'll post an exert from the book soon but if I'm not mistaken:

Your Motherboard has a crystall in it much like a watch which pulses. This pulse rate is the speed of your clock. As you push more electrity though it it pulses faster resulting in a faster clockspeed posting your components "putting them on speed" if you will. But if you "overdose" your PC it will be a hangover it will never wake up from you must becarefull of the heat.

Hey Tyler1989, I've too been studing for the A+ exam, I hope to get it within the next 2 months (on top of school so dont have as much study time as I'd like). Yes there is indeed a system crystal that sets the external data bus speed of your motherboard, with the multiplier on the cpu it effectly increases your cpu speed by the change in EDB x the multiplier. The system crystal can be turned up on some motherboards, causing the voltage to go up. This does generally decrease the life of your system but if you manage to get a relatively stable OC then by the time it dies it will be obsolete anyways.

Tyler what are you using to study? I'm using the Mike Meyers book.

Why would you put this question in this category when there is an Overclocking thread appropriately titled for questions such as these.

Not only that theres a couple different stickies on the basics of OC'ing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom