applying gel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your mobo may suck for it I don't really know, however I used to have 1 gig of Corsair ValueSelect ram. I didn't know much about timings or anything else so I basically left all my timings on auto, and was able to OC to 240 htt with a 1:1 ratio. That means I was up to a cpu clock of 2.64 ghz with the best ratio with my cheap ram all on stock heatsink/fan. It did get a little warm so that was why I bought the TT Big Typhoon. Even if you can't do that with your ram, simply set a divider (it makes little difference in performance with the 3700 san diego whether you have a divider or not) such as 5:6 or if possible 9:10 and then you will be almost assured of being able to get a decent OC even with cheap ram. I do have a really good OCing MOBO, the one in my sig, but even with a crappier one you should still be able to find somewhere to change the HTT and possibly set a memory divider. I would definately say get the 3rd party cooling and OC, it is more than worth it.

I was unlucky, my cpu isn't that great of an OCer. I was only able to get 2.75ghz out of it, 2.8 or 2.85 on a suicide run, and only 2.7 really rock stable. But still even that is ok and with my Big Typhoon my system stays perfectly cool no matter what I run. The only thing that gets even slightly hot in my system now is my 7800GTX which I OCed a bit :) but even that isn't too terrible so I am too lazy to buy a 3rd party cooling system for it.

Edit: Also if you OC you will need to find where to change the voltage that you send to your CPU and RAM in your BIOS. You could probably post what exactly you have and someone will have some experience with it to help you OC. :D

ok well my motheboards in my sig... its the only nforce 4 mobo that evga makes. if anyone can help me out with Ocing that would be great. im not going to OC it now.. but i will in the future. im definetely gonna get the new heatsink now though.. so that when i do OC.. ill be ready for the high temps. i need to know what needs to be done in order to OC because im clueless. this pc was my first build ever

I was exactly the same way. my first build was the one in my sig. Stickies are your best friend, that is all people will tell you till you have read them and have gotten a good general understanding. Read, read, re-read the stickies. If you have a question, it has been answered and it is probably in the stickies. :p

yea i think im gonna read the OC sticky again.,.. maybe ill understand it better now.. thanks for the advice

There is a ton of information, it is hard not to just skim read over it and not really get anything from it. Slow down and read it bit by bit to really try to understand what it is talking about. Once you get it, it all makes sense.

in order to OC, is it necesary to do all the things mentioned in that sticky.. it seems like there are tons of programs to download.. it seems like a million different things have to be modified in order to OC. am i correct or is it easier than it looks?

No they go overboard in all the stuff, you can do it with a lot less than they say, but if you want to be extremely thorough in making sure your system is stable and functioning propperly you may want to go ahead and follow their indepth steps. I may post later the short quick method that I use but I have to go. Maybe someone else will post how they do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom