Market Opportunity = Gaming Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

BennyV04988

Fully Optimized
Aight how does this build sound set for June. I think trying to build a Vista/DX10/G71/AM2 system this year is absurd. However....this does mean that 939 and its buddies will drop like a rock 2-3 weeks after the release of AM2 and a 7800GT/X would be rather cheap after Nvidia releases allll their goodies. So you think this build is a good idea for june?

CPU - AMD 64 4000+ 2.4GHz 1GHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache
GPU - eVGA Geforce 7800GTX 256MB
HDD - 2x 160GB Seagate Barracudas SATA 3GB/s
RAM - Patriot Signature 2GB Pack DDR SDRAM
MOBO - Asus A8N-SLI S939 NVIDIA nForce4
PSU - Antec TRUEPOWER 2.0 550W
TOWER - Aspire x-Plorer Black w/Side Window
DVD - NEC DVD Burner
and some sweet UV fans and a mouse etc

But does that seem like a good build goal to save up for by June? It's priced out at about $1300.00 right now. But I'd like to build for a thousand. Possible? I could easily swap out the 4000 for the 3700 and OC. Also i could just snag a 7800GT instead and SLi eventually. So with that...unless I can build a DX10/AM2 system for a similar price (for extended life) that's my plan if prices drop enough. PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK.

Defianately the x1900xt is such a good price for its performace. $500 and it significantly beats the 512mb gtx.

actually, they tend to be neck-in-neck depending on what apps you're running. Personally though, I would go with the X1900XTX

Ryan

hmmm...I usually don't like ati because they abandon thier products as far as drivers go. But maybe this card is really good. I'll have to look into it.

FghtinIrshNvrDi said:
actually, they tend to be neck-in-neck depending on what apps you're running. Personally though, I would go with the X1900XTX

Ryan
That's not true. Sure they're about the same with AA and AF off but turn them on and the x1900ct utterly destroys the gtx 512.

hmmmm....maybe i'll wait to see what nvidia has to in their box of tricks... i really don't like ati. If its too early to buy then ill stick with a 7800gt

Nothing wrong with ATI. People just like Nvidia more because they tend to make better products.

A couple tips to lower the price, but keep performance:

1) As already said, dont get the GTX. The price:performance isnt the greatest. Perhaps, go with a 7800GT, or even a 6800GS.

2) You can save about $100 if you go with a 3700. The performance difference is marginal at most.

3)The motherboard can be downgraded a bit. If you insist on keeping SLi, then a Gigabyte mobo is a bit better on the wallet:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128301
You could even drop SLi altogether and save even more money... If you still want to get the ASUS A8N-SLi, just make sure to get the Premium, not Deluxe. The Premium does away with the chipset fans, which are a source of frequent problems.

Ya i've heard about the fans. : / lol Well im just looking at the base sli model. I reallly like the idea of sli because i trust that Nvidia will make it better. I can also upgrade with an identical and eventually cheap card. eVGA offers a 100% trade in deal after the first 90 days of purchase so ya....7800 + $$$ = 7900! then SLI that bad boy in like 2 years

so 3700+, oc if need be, (But the 1mb L2 cache is a good idea right instead of the 3800?) If i do OC i might need to choose a new mobo. graphics and mobo are the hardest part. : /

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom