virtual drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
i thought all the software is just a bunch of code, why cant the system just run of a file instead of an iso image

i just checked out alcohol 120%, it says

alcohol 120% can handle the creation of 31 virtual CD and DVD-ROMs, allowing the user to play discs without needing the physical disc. Users can copy CDs and DVDs to CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM, and DVD+RW discs. The reading speed of a virtual CD-ROM is 200x.

does thie man that it can read at 200%

its alot quicker too when its installing from the hard drive compared from the cd rom to the hard drive. hence the games and stuff runs quicker smoother and there is no reason to leave you chair

but to convert your cd into a virtual cd, there is still that investment of time, correct? so does it not balance out?

what are the different .iso image file types?

Yea it balances in more than one way. Usually after you install the game..say the game has 4 CD's..all you really need is the play disc. Usually the play disc gets thrown around and may become scratched and not work..This would provide you with A)A backup of the disc B) Faster speed since you will be playing off the virtual dirve via the ISO at 200X vs 48X

Also for me a lot of software I download comes in ISO or MDF/MDS formats which rather than wasting CD's and recording the image to phsyical media I can simply load the ISO to a virtual drive and install the software that way.

For that last question .iso is a type of image file not really set standard although it is a standard..just not that way..ayee..confused myself..lol

Some of the common "image file types" are .iso,.img, .mds, .cdi, .nrg, .pdi, .ccd, .cue

Basically for certain sets of software that can create images they can have there own propritery image type..like a .nrg is a Nero Burning ROM image file. Luckily Alcohol 120 % recognizes most all of them.

thanks for the replies

i guess it is called an image file since it looks exactly as it would appear on a cd? correct?

i thought all image files since they are just images of what they would be on a hard drive, shoudl look the same

rookie1010 said:
thanks for the replies

i guess it is called an image file since it looks exactly as it would appear on a cd? correct?

i thought all image files since they are just images of what they would be on a hard drive, shoudl look the same

ALL SOFTWARE IS AN IMAGE. IT'S JUST DIFFERENT WAYS OF SEEING IT.

KEEP IT SIMPLE

rookie1010 said:
i will check out daemon tools, am downloading daemon 3.47.0

A warning about Daemon Tools that confused me when I first got it. It doesn't have a GUI, and you have to right click on the system tray icon to use it.

thanks for the warning

i have started using daemon tools, mounted my first iso and now i see the advantages of a virtual drive

i was wondering what does eject tray mean, how is it different from unmounting image?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom