Need suggestions on first build in 2 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyanide88

Beta member
My tired old xp2000+ is starting to die... so I'm going to replace it with a new, home made system and I was just wondering if you guys could give me a hand making sure I've got decent stuff planned for it -

AMD Athlon 64 x2 4200+
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium mobo
Antec NeoHE 550w PSU
2 x GeForce 7800 GT :cool:
Crucial Twinx2048 DDR-500 (XMS-4000) RAM
Western Digital Vaviar 120GB SATA300 HD
Jeantech Achilles Case
19" TFT monitor

I'll mainly be using it for games, most probably with my usual dozen programs running in the background. I do plan to OC, but not too much, hence the 4200+ (I've heard it's good for overclocking) and the high-spec ram.

The case is from my local pc shop, it looks awesome and has 3 fans and a decent airflow. I figured I wouldn't need any extra cooling on top of all the stock stuff *optimism*

Thanks in advance

cyanide88 said:
AMD Athlon 64 x2 4200+
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium mobo
Antec NeoHE 550w PSU
2 x GeForce 7800 GT :cool:
Crucial Twinx2048 DDR-500 (XMS-4000) RAM

Do I see two sticks of 2gb of ram? If so, drop it. All you need is 2x1gb sticks of ram. And you can use valueram if not overclocking. If you are overclocking, stick with it.

Processor... not the one I'd buy. Of course, if you're not overclocking, just get the best one you can afford. If you are overclocking, get the X2 3800+ and clock it up to 4200+ speeds and beyond. It's way better price/performance for your dollar.

I heard that Asus motherboard is good... If it is, let us know how it goes. Their video card just crapped out on me! Actually, I think I gave the core a little too much juice...

Ryan

Like what was stated before, dont go with SLi. It doesnt improve performance much anyways. The opteron series are know to OC very well and you should check them out. And if you OCing, go with a DFI.

Re: Re: Need suggestions on first build in 2 years

FghtinIrshNvrDi said:
Do I see two sticks of 2gb of ram? If so, drop it. All you need is 2x1gb sticks of ram. And you can use valueram if not overclocking. If you are overclocking, stick with it.

It's 2 sticks of 1GB, already set to 3-4-4-8 ready for overclocking

Originally posted by FghtinIrshNvrDi
Processor... not the one I'd buy. Of course, if you're not overclocking, just get the best one you can afford. If you are overclocking, get the X2 3800+ and clock it up to 4200+ speeds and beyond. It's way better price/performance for your dollar.

I figured on getting the 4200 and OCing a smaller amount, rather than a 3800 and pushing it right it, as there's only a small price difference over here, and as the 42 already has a 2mhz head start I thought I might be able to save on cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom