how to bypass university firewall?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warez Monster said:
well how do they do it then?

I couldnt tell you how they do it at colleges as this isnt what I administer, but my saying is "if they've spent the time implementing it, they'll be monitoring for people trying to bypass it".

I to would be curious how they go about catching something like http://www.http-tunnel.com/html/ which simply acts as a SOCKS server on port 80, which port 80 is a standard HTTP port.

The only thing I could think of is that they must have a list of common firewall bypassing sites such as the one mentioned above and if this passes through its CACHE it triggers an alarm with IP, Mac address and other info. I think that agreement you sign gives them the right to search your computer if they suspect foul play doesnt it? Dont we have any college administrators here? I say the penalty threat would be enough for me not to try to bypass it since you could get expelled and even fined criminally.

It will certainly break the "terms of service" agreement. It's their network that they are allowing you to use. Either follow their rules, or don't use the service.

The same is true in my job. If I want to use my companies service, I must follow their rules. (BUY YOU'RE OWN SERVICE & DO WHAT EVER YOU WANT).

I remember when I worked at the local University in the IT department, and it is pretty easy to see who is breaking rules on your network. For example if you are running BitComet, they can set their routers/firewalls/switches to send an email to the admin saying that this IP address/hostname/etc is downloading or uploading an abnormal amount.

Not to mention the fact that they likely have all of the ports closed except what is necessary.

Bottom line: Don't even bother with trying to evade the network security.

It's pretty easy to track down delinquent apps bypassing the firewall. The college almost certainly knows the ports used by the common applications they use and allow to be used. If you crack open through another port, or start stuffing a lot through a known port, they'll see it. Colleges usually have decent firewall protection, and universities are even tougher (given the level of research and such).

In short, the firewall is there for a reason. If you're an honest bloke, go talk to the IT department about your application and ask them to help you out. Chances are, given the nature of the application, they'll say no. But let me tell you, that's a **** of a lot better than hacking it through and getting caught. Not only will your internet priviliges be cut off, but you could face disciplinary action AND legal action.

Plus, it usually pretty clearly states in your agreement for ISP services to the college that you won't do that kind of stuff. It's not worth it.

BTW - Since when did H-ELL become a curse?

u can also use a sniffer to find any abnormal bandwidth use. If its installed and you use bit comet, it will show a red flag because it will not be in the norm of standard use. If this is a legal use and is okay'd, then just ask the admin for privaleges.

The only way i can see this being used for legal purposes would be for a Linux Distro that is dont thru torrents. But as everyone here said you need to talk to the Admins and get the privledges required to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom