Changing to new case

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindApex

In Runtime
I posted this in hardware but got no responses:

I'm looking into buying a new case for my comp and transferring all my parts to it. Right now I have a Sony PCV-RX560, P4, hd/cd-re/dvd, the works.

here's the case I'm looking at, its the Thermaltake Xaser III Lanfire:

http://www.bigfootcomputers.com/Mer...reen=PROD&Product_Code=7234&Category_Code=360

I'm doin this mostly for looks, and want to add some rounded cables/cathodes....until I get a new system (prbly amd 64) around christmas.

what's the best way to go about transferring all my parts to the new case and should i buy the case if I'm gonna put a completely new system in it around christmas? will form factors and other measurements change so that the case will be useless by then?

thx in advance

well this is the case mod forums, so i thought i'd give it a second shot :) also, i posted it and within a few hours it was on the second page:amazed:

BlindApex said:
I posted this in hardware but got no responses:

I'm looking into buying a new case for my comp and transferring all my parts to it. Right now I have a Sony PCV-RX560, P4, hd/cd-re/dvd, the works.

here's the case I'm looking at, its the Thermaltake Xaser III Lanfire:

http://www.bigfootcomputers.com/Mer...reen=PROD&Product_Code=7234&Category_Code=360

I'm doin this mostly for looks, and want to add some rounded cables/cathodes....until I get a new system (prbly amd 64) around christmas.

what's the best way to go about transferring all my parts to the new case and should i buy the case if I'm gonna put a completely new system in it around christmas? will form factors and other measurements change so that the case will be useless by then?

thx in advance

As far as how to do it... piece by piece. Get a large piece of cardboard and put the components on that when theyre between cases to prevent ESD.

The ATX form factor has been around since the PC and theres no sign of that changing within the next decade, let the next 9 months.

Any other questions feel free to ask. Ill try to keep an eye on the thread to make sure it doesnt slip away.

edit- the price on that case is a bit high (and yes, I realize its CDN, not USD) but be sure you shop it. You should be able to find it for as low as $150-160 CDN.

ya i noticed that when i checked newegg. does newegg ship to canada cuz i'll just get it through them then.

also, how good is the power supply (420 watts) that comes with it. I'll eventually be putting top of the line (by today's standards) parts in it (A64 FX-51, Radeon9800, etc.) is there enough wattage to power that?

Yes, 420 will be enough. I do recommend you buy a Xaser from newegg.com if possible though. You can get one of those for around $150 or less.

it may come with a 420 watt power supply but the psus that come with the cases usually suck and everyone complains about either the psu dying on them or fluctuating voltage levels which isnt good.

does anyone know of any other cases similar or extravagant such as this one that's full tower...i need more drive bays just noticed.

maybe the higher end models for the Thermaltakes?

that case is ugly and very overpriced, i will give you some links to other cases that you can use, that will look better and be alot more modern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom