Swap Space, Virtual Memory ???????

Status
Not open for further replies.

klein1jo

In Runtime
Hey. I thought swap space was where virtual momory was stored. Right now I have:

- 1GB RAM
- 2GB partition dedicated to swap space, 1.5GB dedicated for use with 500MB free space

Everest says I have:

- 1GB RAM, 351MB used
- 2.5GB swap space, 245MB used
- 3.5GB virtual memory, 596MB used

What's going on? Why does my swap space say 2.5GB when I only have a 2GB partition and a specified usage of 1.5GB?

Did you manually change you swap settings within XP? I would double check them to make sure they are set the way you want. Maybe Everest has setup something extra for use with that application. Double check those settings as well.

Ya, I double checked them a couple times. They're exactly how I want. No swap file on the Windows partition and a 1.5GB swap on the 2GB swap partition. 1.5GB is 1.5x my amount of RAM.

Everest is supposed to just give you information on your computer which is exactly what it did because I just looked in the System Information application in Windows XP and it said the same thing with less detail.

?????????????

Virtual memory = total memory.
If you want the page file to only use 1.5GB you should set both minimum and maximum size to 1.5GB, not just the minimum value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom