2x512mb RAM vs 1x1gb RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

weewun

In Runtime
i am upgrading my system from a 512mb ram to a gb ram. i am getting rid of my old ram stick (causes crashes, was slow, crappy, etc) and i found that the price difference in getting a 1gb stick is very similar to getting 2x512 sticks...

1gb:
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...9kdWN0X3NwZWNpZmljYXRpb25z&product_uid=64183

2x512mb :http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=64176

so, what would be better? im not nececerally going to get that ram, BUT i would like to know the advantages/disadvantages (if it makes a difference) of having 1x1gb stick over 2x512mb sticks. cheers!

Go for 2x512mb if your motherboard supports dual channel, it'll prolly say on the box or something, go for a gig stick if you're planning on getting like 4gb, which you won't, so 2x512mb ftw. Oh and, do yourself a favor and go Corsair baby :D

well... as it's the same price, would i not be better getting a 1gb stick, just incase i want to upgrade later? or would 2x512 be more stable or faster or something?

it would probably be better to get one stick of RAM, so the PC isnt running off two RAM chips, it only has to rely on 1

ok... iv looked at corsair ram, and found a 1gb stick, and a 2pk of 512's...
1gb
2x512

so, if it's better gettin just 1 1gb stick, how come the 512 is more expensive and why would any1 buy it?

If your motherboard supports dual channel, go for the dual 512mb to utilize the dual channel ability. It will be much faster than using a single 1024mb stick in single channel.

I'd buy the 2 sticks of 512 without hesitation. Unless you have a socket 754 I don't see any reason why you would buy the single stick. Most sockets support dual channel memory operation.

Ryan

Well with DDR2 motherboards I think they all support dual-channel. So go with the 2X512. BTW what motherboard do you have?

yeh, it does have dual chanel. i have an intel mobo... can't remember the exact model though and cant find the box :angry: ... so, the 2x512's it is! cheers for the help guys! btw, would this ram be better than the corsair? my friends neighbor recommended it for my friend who has a dell...geil ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom