Word 2000 wont load.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuartkeith

Solid State Member
OK here is another weird one for you guys (& Gals)

Since a power cut last week the pcs are refusing to load word.

I mean you click word and you get the word 2000 spalsh screen and it just stays there!

In task manager it shows winword.exe using 0 process time. Now Powerpoint, excel, Publisher etc are still functioning fine. So far I have completed the follwing.

1) System restore to a point when it was working
2) Office repair
3) Uninstall then reinstall
4) Latest service pack

I am unable to run windows updates / office updates online so cannot try these.

This has happened on 15 pcs and Im lost!

Try launching it in safe mode and see if it works there. If that doesnt work try launching in safe mode with command prompt. Then use command prompt to launch the application i.e. cd c:\program files\microsoft office\office 9\winword.exe ...the path may vary so be sure to note it.

Basically that will launch the application outside of "explorer" so in case it is a conflict with explorer we can figure it out. This would at least give us a starting point.

Are you running it on XP or 2000? It is definately a conflict with explorer since it runs in safe mode. Do you have the machine fully up to date? Are all the SP installed and security updates?

The only thing i can think of would be a corrupt shortcut. Try running it from the cmd prompt or directly from the Programs Files folder where it installs. Maybe that might do something.

what other programs do you have installed? Alos, go to start, run, type msconfig, go to startup, click disable all, then go back and recheck your antivirus and reboot, then start word.

Its in a school and they cant afford to upgrade. It was working fine until last week when they had a powercut after that they all stopped working!

I have disabled all the startup items and services from msconfig and it still wont load in normal mode.

I cant update the machines as the local authority have blocked access to the sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom