overclocking and bottlenecks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

enthusiast1917

Baseband Member
Hi, I have a intel p43.0ghz , 1 gig of ram, and 6800gt (8xagp). i was wondering if the cpu/ram has any bottleneck for the 6800gt. and i was also wondering if u could take out a cpu (such as my 3.0ghz p4), put it in a overclockable mobo (my mobo is locked against o/c), overclock it (to speeds such as 3.2ghz), and put the cpu back in my mobo. would that be possible?

could you please be more specific? i recall asking two questions here, and i dont know whether you're both saying no to them, or no to one of them?

No, the motherboard is what sets and defines speeds. The cpu it's self is at the mercy of the motherboard's settings. It doesn't work like your thinking. I also doubt your 6800 is being bottlenecked. If your not getting much performance clean up your system.

Then, wait till the end of the year and upgrade to a new and wonderful system. AMD's socket M2 is comming out (I'm seeing it refered to as am2 now.. what'd I miss?) DX10 graphics cards are comming out, and .. if you must have them, intel has a new line comming soon. Though AMD will always be sooo much better (fanboyism)

No is the answer to both of the questions...while it is true that a faster CPU translate into a faster framerate, the CPU and GPU are not directly connected therefore they don't rely on each other as much as say CPU and memory where they both communicate with one another constantly

And no, your CPU information that tells the CPU what to run at is stored within your BIOS, which is on your motherboard...the CPU will only run at the specifications the BIOS tells it to run at, so you can't overclock and then switch motherboards

thank you for the replies, now that i understand my gpu isnt bottlenecked by the cpu, would my cpu be bottlenecked by the ram? would an upgrade of 2 gigs make my gaming/pc any faster? and would 512mbx4 or 1gig x2 be better? (please include reasons) - also would there be some sort of cpu software overclocking tool that virtually works with all mobos?

Ram wise, I guess you could see some performance gains with 2gigs... but more in the form of load times, if you had some stuttering in games then it might help. But I have to say I have 512 on a budget gaming machine and it runs fine. As for 512x4 or 1x2, the less the number of sticks the better, for performance and upgrading wise.

As for OC'ing software... I don't think universal cpu overclocking software exists, let alone a fesible idea.

Is you computer a prebuild, like a Dell, compaq, or soemthing else? If it is, you really can't do much other than upgrade the parts you can (which is more or less futile for your setup) or build a new one from strach.

If your current comps not getting the performance you think it should, clean it up, start with only the OS and drivers and must have software. Use programs like firefox and be careful.

But then again don't expect performance you shouldn't be getting.

im more than happy with the performance im getting, i was just wondering if i could squeeze more performance and kind of 'ready' my computer for the unreal 3 engine and half life 3 (if it comes out in the next 2 years cause im gonna start a complete new system then)

Your machine will kindof be scraping the bottom of the bucket as far as the unreal engine 3 goes. The 6800 cards are going to be the minimum requirements. I'd consider maybe adding a little ram and sitting on it for a while.

Ryan

I really doubt you'll have to worry about half life 3 for a while, valve likes to take their sweet sweet time (1.5 year delay on HL2). Have they even anounced anything? As far as Unreal 2007 goes, it will play on yours, not amazingly but it will. As for the ram, you can if you want but I'd say screw it. With your setup you probably wouldnt notice a large difference.

Personally Im just saying screw it to UT 2007, if it's gonna push even new comps when it comes out I'm not gonna bother. I'll wait a year or so after it comes out then upgrade. I hate playing games at anything but 50 or more fps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom