CD-RW drive doesn't always open. GMC Chess freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

True_Orb

Daemon Poster
I hate to say it but I noticed this problem after I painted my drive covers and the volume knob (not sure if some paint fell inside the drive when I did that)

Anyway, sometimes when I hit the eject button, I hear the noise you hear when the CD tray initially ejects, the busy light lights up, but I see a tiny fidget, then nothing. It just sits there with the Busy light on. If I hit the button a few times or poke it a bit the problem goes away for a little while, but its happened a few times now.

Also, I am running an old old game called Grandmaster Chess and that freezes every time I run it now. This did not happen before.

Are these things linked? I will try some other games but it seems to be some sort of mechanical or drive software problem. :(

take out the drive and inspect the paint job. See if there are any paint chips inside the tray or pc. You might have danmagedyour lazor when doing the paint job and that is why your cd sticks. And you might have painted over joints inside whitch would cause the drive not coming out problem

If that's the case do I just have to buy a new drive? Or can I get it repaired for less than the cost of a new drive? (Like $35 USD?)

The exact same thing happened to my old cd Burner, it is just all around broken and used up i guess, at least mine was

i just updated to a cd-rw/dvd-rw drvie

if your cd-rw has a broken lazer or paint over the joints a new one will be in order. but i highly suggest you investigate the problem further and see what is wrong if you can. if you cant then it is probably an internal non fixable problem and then you would need a new one.

I looked inside and there were no visible problems. I just tried it once and it worked fine. I am beginning to think maybe the paint was just still a little sticky and the door just wanted to stick to the bezel frame.

It's been working, I think my GMC Chess CD was just messing with it. Never trust 5 year-old chess games!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom