Hard Drive Detection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazou

Beta member
hey there guys, im new to the forums, hopefully your experiences can help me. Alright well my friend got a while bunch of hardware and wanted me to build his computer. everything works fine except the hard drives arent being detected. the mb is pretty much built for sata, but his dad bought ide hard drives, so we had to work with that. they are a "western digital 160gb hd and a wd 200gb hd" both ide. also he has two dvd burners. now the mother board is a asus P5WD2 Premium. i mean everything is working fine, except that the hard drives arent being detected.

there are two e-ide "ports" which in the manual it says should hold up to 4 hard drives, that i can understand but it doesnt detect the hd's so yea. there there is one "normal" ide "slot" in which the hard drives become detected, but the e-ide slots are not atapi compatible so i can not plug the hard drives in to the ide because the e-ide is not atapi compatible for the dvd burners. the hard drives can only be plugged into the e-ide slots with the existence of optical drives so....i mean i dont know what to do.

i've tried every jumper configuration...i even tried a 60 gb hard drive maybe it had something to do with the 137gb barrier......nothing......it just doesnt detect.

the specs on the comp are:
Vid Card: Geforce 7800 GT GDDR3 PCI Express 256 mb
Pentium D 3.2 ghz 840
2x Crucial Ballistix 512 Mb ram
160 gb Western Digital
200 gb Western Digital
and 2 16x dvd burners not exactly sure which

thanks in advance

-Jei Kazou

btw the optical drives read fine in just the ide ports....the e-ide dont work because 1. it says in the manual it doesnt detect atapi and 2. it degrades the performance speed and just gives me other errors.......its not meant to work with the e-ide......the e-ide is supposed to be for the hardd drives........but they arent being detected.......at all........so help please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom