Second operating system

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigMarkLeonard

Beta member
Recently I partitioned my hard drive. I have windows xp on my primary partition (C:) which was getting slow (4 years old), so I installed windows xp Media Centre edition on my second partition (D:).

When I boot up I get asked which system I want to start. I now use the OS on the 2nd partition (D:) (media centre) and have now found that my computer runs a lot quicker.

Now I want to format my C: partition and use it for storing files and installing applications.

Could someone please tell me - if I format C: will my computer still boot and start the OS on the D: drive? I don't want to format C: if in doing so I'll delete files needed to start the OS on D:

Cheers
Sorry if its a stupid question.

if you want to be totally for sure, unhook your c drive and try to boot. if you can boot to your mcs, then you can

Thanks for your speedy response, however...

If I physically unhook my C Drive My D drive would be unhooked as well because they are on the same hard drive...

I figured you were going to come back with something like that. Can you see the c: drive when you are on MCE? like in my computer or diskmanagement?

The C drive still works perfectly, and I can see it on My Computer etc. Because my last version of windows is on it, I can even use it.

Both partitions are on the same hard drive - C and D each have their own version of windows, and can be used independently. I no longer need anything on C as long as deleting everything on that partition doesn't prevent the version of windows I have on D loading up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom