Asus A7n8x Deluxe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares

In Runtime
I'd like to hear from anyone out there who uses this board, or has had experience with the board, or anyone who just knows their ASUS boards. I priced this thing at $114.00 at compuplus.com and i'm thinking about getting it for one of the pc's i'm gonna build. I haven't checked newegg.com yet for it. From what i've read, here and at other places, ASUS is one of the best mainboard manufacturers, and this is supposedly one of their BEST boards.

A couple of sites i checked had somewhat different or obscure specs on the board, so i'd like some plain english help on this. Will this board support an AMDXP 3000 (2ghz) Barton core? What would be the best combo of processor speed and memory size (taking into consideration FSB)? I'm planning to do the dual memory thing but reluctant to overclock or get fancy with it until i've become more familiar with it.

Thanks, Shrapnill. I hope you happen to be around in the near future and willing to help me set everything up. This will be my first build (but i'm ordering parts for a total of 3 pc's to build!).

I've been all over newegg's site. Thanks for the additional links though. I'm planning to go with exactly what you said: a barton core and 2 mem sticks of either 256 or 512 mb each. Depends on price really.

Could you, or anyone else who reads this post, fill me in on what the RAID/SATA specs for this baby mean in plain english? I really don't know much about RAID or SATA and am just jumping into all of this. The board specs say:

Silicon Image Sil3112A RAID Controller 2x Serial ATA, RAID 0/1

What's that mean? LoL. No sense having this powerful mainboard if i don't know how to best utilize it. And to those who suggest i do a search on the forum for RAID/SATA... i'll get to it when i have a day to sift through all the results.

Serial ATA (or SATA) is a different connection type for optical drives. Newer and faster than the ol' 133.

RAID is a "redundant array of independant drives" and allows you a few options for ease or speed. The RAID options on the ASUS are RAID0 and RAID1. Level 0 provides data striping , which is spreading out blocks of each file across multiple disks to speed write time. This improves performance but does not deliver fault tolerance.

Level 1 provides disk mirroring. This helps in security.

Ill be around. Gimmie a holler if you need anything.

i have this board. you should know although it is rock solid and a good performer, the onboard sound is very glitchy and annoying. it is almost required to have a separate sound card. this is not just me, many people say the sound sucks, except for the tone deaf. even with latest drivers it still doesnt work right. typing or playing a 3d game will make it stutter.

Ok, so if i get this board use good quality ram like that Corsair XMS stock? Any other brands i should check out?

I prob won't get a sound card immediately. How glitchy and annoying are we talking about here? Can anyone else back this up, about the "sucky onboard sound"? Surely it can't be anything like what i'm used to (see my pc specs post).

All I can say is, Shrap knows his stuff, and I'd back anyone who says ASUS builds quality boards.

Hey Orb, shouldn't you be arguing with us or something? LoL. Wait, on second thought, i'm glad you're not!

Shrapnill, what did you do to overcome the supposedly "sucky onboard sound" that Ekaesine mentioned? Anything?

Haha Ares. I am a noobie here and I am far from the most knowledgable person on computers, so no I will not argue.

Catch me on a few other boards and, well, I ain't so nice :p

Ares said:

Shrapnill, what did you do to overcome the supposedly "sucky onboard sound" that Ekaesine mentioned? Anything?

Bought a Audigy 2 ZS soundcard.

Another thing thats tought about the board is that if you use SATA HDDs, it requires a driver to recognize them. Where did ASUS put that driver? On the CD.... now um... obviously I had some issues there. Finally ASUS tech support sent me a file that I could put on floppy and boot during XP setup that installed em.

But despite all that, I love the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom