How long will the 3700+ last?

Status
Not open for further replies.
so are you suggesting i get the 3700 plus.. cuz i know new games will utilize dual core, but wouldnt the 3700+ still be able to handle them just fine for a good long time... i would think its more of the graphics card doing all the demanding features

Aside from the fact that it's gonna take a long time before dual core utilization in games will be perfected, there's no games out now that use it....unless you count king kong. The 3700+ is all you'll need for gaming for a long long time...and considering the price difference between the opty and the san diego...it's definitely the smarter choice...for now. Put the $100+ you save from buying the 3700+ towards the video card, and you won't be disappointed.

exactly what i was thinking Twizted_3kgt, i wanted to get the 3700+ along with a 2nd 6800 gs, so when my computer is up and going, i can get my 6800's in sli and outdo those blasted 7800gtx's!!! haha

ok i didnt read all the posts so dont flame if this has been said please

It seems to me that ur on a tight budget, and if ur current spec is amd 3500+ with a 6800 gfx dont upgrade yet. I really dont think its worth going from a 3500 to a 3700, not enough of an upgrade. Now going to the dual core would be worth it, but it may not be worth it at the moment for you right now. I mean is the 3500 hindering any of ur games? i highly doubt it, wait till games stop running and then upgrade, youll save urself alot of money.

NosBoost300 said:
exactly what i was thinking Twizted_3kgt, i wanted to get the 3700+ along with a 2nd 6800 gs, so when my computer is up and going, i can get my 6800's in sli and outdo those blasted 7800gtx's!!! haha

2 6800GS's in SLI don't beat a single 7800GTX.

As for the CPU, how long are you planning on having this system up and running as a gaming rig?

if you are not keeping that compaq system i say take the cpu out and save the cash is the 3500+ a skt 939 ?

ya the 3500+ is a socket 939, but its staying in here, i'm gonna sell this computer to a friend when i'm done with my build. And i plan on having this run as a gaming rig for a very long time, and some game tests i have seen show 2 6800gs's ran better than a single 7800gtx take a look here http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_6800_gs_performance/page17.asp , it runs better in fear and half life 2.. i don't really check the other games, but those 2 are most important to me, and 2 6800gs's are cheaper than 1 7800gtx anyway... those 2 put together put out 24 pixel pipelines and 512 mb ram.. i'm not saying its alot better, but in what games i play, it is better, based on some reviews i've seen.

Well if you are going to have this gaming rig for a long time, then it would be just stupid to get the 3700+. The 3700+ will only get worse over time because it will get outdated. The Opty 165, will actually get better because they are going to be programming games and software to utilize both cores making it run better. A lot better.

well how much better could it possibly run, nothing seems to really stress out my 3500+ now, and i'm not trying to say i'm not going to go with the opteron, cuz i really am leaning towards it, its just i hate spending that much money at once, and because my friend is pitching in 75 bucks, i wouldn't see why not to get it... i'm just curious i guess, as to how much new games will stress these processors, considering i havent really seen my 3500+ have a difficult time

*edit*
and with how people overclock 3700+'s to speeds of an fx57, that saves alot of money, so are you also trying to tell me the fx57 is going to die out soon??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom