No operating system found

Status
Not open for further replies.

redneckbcer

Solid State Member
My wife's non-profit organization was donated an IBM Personal Computer 300GL from a major utility without an operating system. I tried loading Windows 2000 into it but it won't boot up. I tried F1 & F12 but only stays in black screen with what it looks like a keyboard and a computer tower showing F1 to be pressed. Would anyone have an idea how I could load Windows 2000 or XP to get this computer running.
Thanks

On the back the Mfg date says 008. I guess August 2000. I don't know what proc means. Originally had Windows 98 NT installed. Thanks

Downloaded windows 98 bootdisk oem, which is boot98.exe. I tried it but getting the same results. Where would I get the processor info. I looked all over the casing but could not find it. On the front of this tower on the Windows sticker it says.
Designed for
Windows NT
Windows 98

I downloaded the file 98bootdisc oem & burnt it to a cd. I put the cd into the cd drive and tried to get it going. It would not boot up. I had to hit F1 and F12 but would not do anything. It just went to black screen telling me to press F!. Thats all it did.

you need a floppy. Put the floppy in the drive, execute the win98 file, it will write to the floppy, then you need to boot from it and then follow this below:

FDISK Tutorial

The Basics of Fdisk:
Primary partitions are the only one that are bootable. They're always the C: drive when active. Normally you can only have one (more with some special tricks etc.) Extended partitions are needed when you want more than one partition. You can only have ONE Extended partition. Logical Drives come into the Extended partition. They are handy since you know that you can only have one Primary and one Extended so you can get more than only two partitions. They would be your D:, E:, etc. drives.

First you need to reboot your system with the Boot Disk inserted.

1.At the A: prompt start "FDISK."

2.If asked to use Large Disc support say Yes.

3.The first screen looks like this:

Create Dos Partition or Logical Drive
Set Active Partition
Delete Partitions or Logical DOS Drives
Display Partition Information
Change current fixed drive. (In case you have two or more Hard Drivess)
So, to prepare you hopefully did a backup from your data. You did, didn't you ?!

4.Next we need to remove the existing partitions. So go to 3.

5.Next screen like this:

Delete Primary DOS
Delete Extended DOS
Delete Logical Drives
Delete Non-DOS
Delete always in the following order

Logical (All) > Extended > Primary (Last)

6.Go back to first screen after all partitions have been removed.

7.Now we need to setup our new partitions. Go to 1.

This screen looks like this:

Create Primary DOS
Create Extended DOS
Create Logical DOS Drives
Here we create in the following order

Primary > Extended > Logical Drives.

8.First create the Primary. If asked to use all space say No and enter the amount you wish for the C: drive. It should be set automatically to be the (only) Active partition. If not it may ask you or you have to select "2. Set active partition" from the main menu.

9.Next create the Extended Partition. Use all space left.

It probably advances automatically to the next step, creating the Logical DOS Drives.

10.Enter the amount you wish for the D: partition and than the rest for the third partition.

Think first about the size for the partitions.

OK now we're finished with FDISK so just exit it. Next you need to reboot with the disc still inserted and Format all partitions (the C: partition might need to be formatted with "format c: /s", check the Win95 tip). Another reboot and you can go ahead and install Windows.

thanks for that fdisk tutorial, im going to use it so my friend wont get so angry with me for wrecking his PC!

I loaded boot98.exe onto a floppy. I loaded the floppy into the computer. The screen is black and now it says;
NTLDR is missing
Press any key to restart
I pressed different keys but says the same thing. Any other ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom