GFX Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well i was thinking that why pick a nvidia based motherboard for a ati graphics card and vice versa. Anyway ill see what is going on with nvidia first i think

Amidamaru said:
Well i was thinking that why pick a nvidia based motherboard for a ati graphics card and vice versa. Anyway ill see what is going on with nvidia first i think

If you havent noticed there are hardly any ATI based motherboards...

And if you buy an Nvidia Nforce4 Motherboard it will work with any ATI card...

If there was a problem with compatability when running ATI on a nvidia board do you think ATI would still have hardly any boards? or do u think ati would even exist?

I wasn't talking about 'capability' as such but the logic behind buying a Nvidia based motherboard and not going with Nvidia

Any nvidia card will work on any ATI or Via chipset muchlike any ATI card will work on any nvidia or via chipset...generally speaking a video card won't have much dependency on a chipset, however that said, the nforce3 chipset has some serious issues with nvidia cards which includes stuttering in games and crippled overclocking

You can't really compare ATI and nvidia anymore as it's muchlike comparing AMD and Intel, apples and oranges etc. Both will excel in different areas and both will run into specific issues

ATI has choosen to limit the actual pixel pipelines and clock frequencies in the x1900XT and increase pixel operations per cycle whereas nvidia has choosen to continue to buff up pipeline count and clock speeds while maintaining a fixed pixel operation count.

IMO, this translates into ATI having more eye candy capability whereas nvidia has more raw power. So basically, if you want to turn on HDR and shadows and start bumping up AA and AF, or if you like playing at high resolutions, the ATI card should do better. If you just like cranking up the settings and don't care about eye candy and simply want a higher framerate, you want the nvidia card

If you choose to go the ATI route, better to save your money and just buy an XT rather than an XTX as the difference is minimal and nothing a bit of overclocking can't fix, and if you want nvidia and want to save a bit of money while sacrificing a bit of performance, you want the 7800GT

I don't think it's fair to even compare the 7800GTX 512 to the X1900XTX. The 7800GTX 512 is so rare, it's literally like a limited edition card, because it's so expensive and so few of them are produced.

Anyway, the 7800GTX 512 is more expensive than the X1900XTX, has a shorter lifespan than the X1900XTX, and has poorer image quality than the 7800GTX 512.

Nvidia will have to try really hard to top the X1900XTX, and keep the price cheaper than $650.

More onto the release date of 7900GTX i need to know an approximate release date so i can consider my options ...

This is a release date for the UK only thanks

If you must buy now, get the X1900XT, because it will do great in upcomming games and rip Oblivion and UT2007 to shreds. My advice is to wait about a month for the 7900GTX, then compare it with the X1900XT and choose which one is faster. You are going to need a X1900XT or 7900GTX minimum though if you want to max out the games of the next year. If you dont care about max settings or high resolutions, but still want decent graphics and performance, get yourself a 6800GS or 7800GT, which are much cheaper cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom