Windows XP logon screen not there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomcowe

Baseband Member
Hello i have xp pro sp2 that i have just installed and the logon screen is not there. I have been to control panel and user accounts and it says that it is turned on. But when xp boots up it does not show the logon screen. How can i fix this?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/downloads/framework1_1/

download that...... and then reboot...

or try this first then above

The "Welcome" Logon Screen Does Not Appear

On a Windows XP-based computer that is part of a workgroup and has the Fast User Switching feature enabled, the computer may start without displaying the "Welcome" logon screen.

The Guest account is not relevant when Windows determines if there is only one user without a password. If there is only one user registered on the computer, the "Welcome" logon screen is not displayed before the account is logged on.

You can use the Fast User Switching feature to gain access to the Guest account.

Note that this behavior occurs only if the user account is part of a workgroup (not a domain) and any of the following conditions exist:

- No password is configured for the user account.
- No other users are registered on the computer.

To work around this behavior, either add a second user to the computer or create a password for the user account. This prevents the account from being logged on automatically.

Show Administrator on the Welcome Screen

Control Panel/Users/Change the Way Users Logon/Welcome Screen or...

Start/Run/Regedit Key
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\ CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
Value Name: LogonType Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value) Value Data: (0 = Classic Mode, 1 = Welcome Screen) Create a new DWORD value, or modify the existing value, called 'LogonType' and edit the value according to the
settings below. Reboot.

Add Users to the Welcome Screen

Start/Run/Regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList
Create a value for the users you want to list (using the Username), and set the value to 1.

TweakUI Option to Remove Welcome Screen:

About/Policy/Run Group Policy Editor/Administrative Templates/System/Logon/Don't Display Welcome Screen.

Restore the Windows XP Welcome Screen

Some 3rd party applications, such as PCAnywhere, replace the Windows XP logon routine with their own. This script is designed to correct this, and allow you to use the Windows XP Welcome Screen.

Usage: Download fix_xp_logon.vbs and save this file to your hard drive. Navigate to where you saved it and double click the file. A confirmation dialog will appear when finished. You may need to log off/back on or restart your computer for the change to take effect. This script can be viewed in Notepad or any text editor, as to the specific Registry key and value that are updated. Download Here.

VPN Disabled the Welcome Screen

Start/Run/Regedit
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\WinLogon. In the right pane, remove the entry for Gina.DLL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom