Help Needed, (Dual Core Decision...!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chazzer3

In Runtime
Hi Guys,

EDIT

Hi,

thanks for all the replies, and I think you've convinced me away from dell.

This is what I'm thinking:

Processor: AMD64 Athlon X2 4400+ 2Mb
Memory: 1.0GB DDR 400mhz
Optical Drive: 16x Sony Double-Layer DVD+/-RW and 52x CD-RW
PCI-Express Graphics card: ATI Radeon X800GTO PCI-E 256MB
Operating System: Geniune Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2

Those are the main things I'm thinking about now.

What do you guys think about these specs? I mean, is the graphics card going to work out, and the processor?

Thanks for your continued help, I'm getting really confused between the options and stuff, and now I've got my parents asking me about which laptop would be the best for them...... :(

Anyway,

Thanks,

Charlie -

That?

Old post....

I hate to feel like I'm posting a lot of topics but I want to make the right decision on my next computer...

I am confused in a way.

Is it worth me getting a 2.8Ghz Pentium D Dual Core Processor or for a tiny bit less, (money), a 3.2Ghz Pentium 4 (SC) processor?!

That is my first dilemma. Is it really worth getting the Dual Core, (I personally think so, but I'm fairly newbish in this realm of multi-core processors...)

Also, would it be better to get 2gig of ram + the 2.8ghz Dual Core, or would it be better to get a gig of ram and 3ghz Dual core. The costs are the same, so what would you say is better, is 2gig really neccessary at the moment?

(FYI I'm getting the nVidia GeForce 6800 Graphics card, with 256mb of mem)

What configuration would you guys say is better?

Thanks a lot,

Charlie =

(this comp is meant to cost overall about £1k, and will be used for gaming, photo processing and general work + internet usage.

Read about dual cores before you buy your processor and I do not recommend an Intel. Intel is not a good choice for Dual Core it may in the next gen but it isn't now. You are best to look at an AMD X2 3800+ or higher or a entry to mid level Opteron.

Chazzer3,
As pointed out in the last thread you opened, you are thinking about purchasing a Dell. Before you think about any specs you must decide where you are buying the computer from. I do not under any circumstances recommend a Dell. Their service isn't great, their tech support speaks English as a second language and to get a replacement part is nearly impossible. If you can, I would stay away from buying one of these machines, instead consider building one yourself. It's very self-satisfying. Even better, consider supporting your local guy at one of the computer shops down the road.

About dual-core, it's better off to get a dual-core processor than a single-core one anyday. Their performance is exponential compared to the single-cores. And any GB of RAM should suffice. 2GB seems like overkill to me but will make things stream like crazy. In the words of Steve Jobs it'll "scroll like butter!"

I'll tell you from experience, do not get the 820. You are much better getting the P4 640 or 641, since you are looking at the 3.2. If the regular Pentium D's had hyper-threading then I would suggest getting the dual core, but since they don't, don't even bother, not with the lower level PD anyway.

Might sheck out the new 9xx series dual cores if your looking at intel

u want dual core yet u want non hyper-threading intel..
and its for gaming and photo...it doesnt really make sence.
AMD is the answer. like all the other ppl suggests.

Boomstick666 is right, if you're set on a dual core get AMD. But if you are wanting an intel get the single core.

icemakr said:
lol, and that's EXACTLY why i'm trying to persuade him not to!
LoL

i agree with boom and others, go amd, and build it yourself! though this does take a little more dedication, patience, and reading, will be worth it in the end! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom