blown motherboard, desperate to retrieve outlook express items

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruah

Beta member
Hi,

Situation:

I have a Time Colossus PC - 126 RAM, 266 Mhz, Windows 98 - on which the Mother Board has blown. Currently there is absolutely no response when the on-off button is pressed.

I need - very badly - to retrieve copies of emails, opened and stored on Outlook Express on the computer.

(The broader situation is that I am being treated by an institution in an unethical manner, and the emails on the blown computer provide evidence as to this).

I have taken the PC into a local shop where, using an IDE lead, Word documents were retrieved, but not the Outlook Express Material.

Questions:

Could you suggest how I might address/learn how to address the problem myself?

Could the hard disk from the Time computer be extracted and placed in another computer, from which the Outlook material could then be accessed?

I have another computer - Packard Bell, Windows XP Pentium 4 1.6 Ghz, 266 RAM - which is not being used and which I could use for such a procedure.

I have tried taking the Hard Disk out of the old computer, and placing in the Packard Bell.

After pressing the on button, the computer buzzes three times, I am then asked to insert boot diskette.
I insert the boot diskette associated with the Hard disk from the blown computer.
I am then presented with 9 options:

1 - Restore System
2 - Restore original Windows (R) INI files
3 - Restore original CONFIG.SYS & AUTOEXEC.BAT files
4 - Restore original Registry Information
5 - This option will execute all of the above
6 - Restore SYSTEM.DAT (Device Manager)
7 - Restore Master Image (Will Run Scandisk First)
8 - Restore Archive File to the Image from Floppy Disk
9 - Go to a Windows (R) 95 DOS prompt

I do not know which prompt to follow, or what to do thereafter.

Should I try to continue down this path?

If this approach is theoretically feasible, are there any manuals or web pages which you could reccommend that would enable a novice to do this? I would be prepared to go on a steep learning curve and to put in the necessary time and work

Or, would you say that the only option is to send the PC to a professional data retrieval company? If so, could you recommend a reliable good-value retrieval company in the uk?

Thanks very much for your time in reading all of this.

Yours faithfully

ruah/rob

if you make the original drive a secondary on a new machine, you should be able to get hold of all the outlook express data.

which then should be able to be exported or used by your outlook express on the second machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom