Twin motherboard PC project

Status
Not open for further replies.

LV38_Eagle

In Runtime
After I have finished my current PC (hopefully tonight), my next project is to build 2 PCÂ’s in one case. This is due to the fact that I host a game server that runs 24/7, and I want one stable machine that never has to stop, with another that I can use as my Games Machine, etc. The computers will be linked with a fast Ethernet connection, and hopefully, if I can bodge a switch together, use the same keyboard and mouse.

I have a few ideas at the moment, getting 2 cheap cases, taking all the panels off and mounting them together, then making some new panels. Second idea was to get something like this and try to modify it to fit twin motherboards. Alternatively, there are a few server cases on the market that hold twin motherboards, but they all look like kitchen appliances.

Basically, I am interested to hear if anyone else has attempted this and what the results (or complications) were, and if anyone has come across any other cases that might prove suitable.

Thanks in advance.

Well, I have decided to go the ‘bodge two cases’ route, largely due to the fact that I have a couple of old enlight cases lying around looking untidy.

Well, stage one is complete; the two cases are stripped and mounted together. I have just started to cut out for the fans (6 x 120mm, 3 in 3 out), switches ledÂ’s etc. You will never confuse this case with a mini ATX, thatÂ’s for sure; it has turned out to be 840mm tall, 460mm deep and 200mm wide. Now THAT is what I call a tower caseÂ…

I will post some pics later tomorrow when it looks more like a PC case not a pile of scrap metal.

i have no clue why you would want to do this. have you considered attaching wooden panels to the outside like a skin?

Why do I want to do this? Well, space on my desk is a bit limited, and I need 2 PCÂ’s on it, so up seemed the logical direction to go in. Plus I enjoy messing around with PCÂ’s, and I wanted to try something different.

I did consider plywood or a thin MDF for the panels, but am veering towards 2mm aluminium sheet at the moment.

I do like the idea of the 12” fan, but will stick with the 6” type for now, these Sunon’s have 190 CFM airflow at high speed setting and 3 intakes, 3 exhausts in the right place will do the job I think.

I have been a bit busy with other things of late, but here is a pic of the lower ‘air intake’ panel to show that something is still happening.

very sweet... isnt an 84cm tall case going to be unstable? You never know the fans may push it over :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom