How long will the 3700+ last?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Opteron 165 will last you a LOT longer than the 3700+ for one main reason. It is dual core. Dual core = future. Go with the Opteron if you want to be future proof. Or you could go with an Athlon X2. I don't know how much they cost compared to the 3700+ or the Opteron, but you should look into those as well.

ya, its the whole 300+ dollar price tag thats getting me scared... as for the x2's those don't really seem to catch my interest because they cost so much more than an opteron just for a 2x1mb l2 cache... i would only say this 3700+ has my attention for its 1mb cache, and its low price tag.. i guess i should just be patient and save up for this opteron to save me the hastle of having to get a new processor anyway...

Buying the 3700+ in my opinion would be the fast and dumb way out. It may take you a little longer to save up, but it'll last you 2 times as long pretty much.

hrmm i was just looking at the x2 3800+ .. and its got a 128+128 kb L1 cache?? why doesnt anyone seem to care about the L1 Cache's or even mention them... what do they do, maybe i should be comparing the 3800 and the 165 instead...

ya... i noticed that, and the opteron is only like 10 bucks more or something like that.. i'm just impatient.... and really want this started.. i started building around november and progress as of now is an Aerocool Spiral Galaxies case, Abit KN8 Sli mobo, and a MSI 6800 gs.. so i still got a while ago... which is making me a bit impatient :( ... especially because i have to buy windows....

Like I always say. It sucks right now, you can't have what you want just yet. But if you were to take the easy way out, you'll be punching yourself later on.

i guess i shall listen to the majority and go with the 165, so i will have less lunch for 2 weeks... time to make good ol home cooked meals again... and if i can convince my friend to pitch in my next paycheck instead of a month from now that would be awesome... he offered to pitch in 75 bucks of any computer purchase i want... only because he'll be able to come over and play games ... and because he missed my bday... ya, patience will be something i have to put up with if i want that top edge gaming computer when the g80 is out.... very long from now, but worth the wait.. and that means by the time it comes around to buying my 2nd 6800 gs... it'll be another 50 dollars cheaper or something of the sort :) .... such money saving purchases!

I think by the time the G80 rolls around, you wont want to buy another 6800GS because you'll be able to get 1 card that is cheaper and offers better performance than both SLI'd. Plus it'll probably be discontinued or harder to get.

well my bulid should be finished in 3 months max, so the g80 will not be out yet.. i just wanna sli the 6800 gs to hold me off until the g80's.. because 1 6800 gs doesnt handle games at 1280x1024 too well... and its not doing me justice in fear with 2xAA and 8x Aniso ... well its a stable 52 fps average.. but it would be nice to bump up the AA and Aniso, along with the resolution.. i can only run fear at 1024x768.. otherwise i gotta drop the quality to play 1280x1024

and not only that.. i have pretty computer illeterate friends that'll be happy to buy off a 6800 gs for a good price... ;) ... some reason they take all the words i say and make the card sound godly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom