Power Supply Problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raphael Argus

Daemon Poster
I recently purchased a new 450 watt Antec PSU. I was using a crummy 350 watt PS that came with my case. I noticed on my old PS that even idle the case fans and CPU fan seemed to rev up and down, similar to a revving effect with a car engine if you would press the gas peddle. (Can't think of any other way to put it)

Anyway, with my new PSU I can really hear a difference, the fans are all louder like I just turbo charged my engine. However, now the revving up and down is louder as well, and I've never heard anything like this with any of my other past PC's.

Everything runs great, I even seem to be running cooler. I just keep waiting for it to rev up and then literally just stall and shut off or something, but as I said, all is working great, even better.

Any reason to think the PSU is bad or going to die?

If I didn't hear this happen a bit with my old PSU I would have contacted NewEgg for an RMA already, but I'm not sure what to do since everything runs great. Shrug.

Check teh documentation on your motherboard. Chances are it's controlling the fan speeds depending on teh temperatures in the case. The fact that your fans seem to be more enrgetic tells me that you prbably needed to change out the PSU anyway.

That would make sense, especially since the previous PSU seemed to do it as well. I have to admit I thought all the hype about higher quality PSU's wouldn't mean much, but even the power/HDD LED's seem to be 4x brighter, and under load the system runs MUCH cooler then before. The new PSU felt like a brick, the old one was as light as a feather!!!

Anyway, I'll check on my MOBO docs and see what they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom