More 6800GS troubleshooting, my core clock speed, and pci speed questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

quiq

Baseband Member
More 6800GS troubleshooting, my core clock speed

Ok thank you Shawn for helping me get my card to work this morning.

Just ran 3dmark05. I have a A64 3500+ venice cpu, 1 gig ram, evga 6800gs. I got a rather disappointing 3890...

So my question is...

Is that about right for 3dmark05? I downloaded "RIVA TUNER" and in its diagnostics report it said my core clock speed was 350mhz? Isnt it supposed to be over 400mhz stock out of the box? :confused: Did I get cheap batch of card?

Your card should be in the PCI-e 16x slot not the 1x. Maybe thats why you had the problem booting. Its usually the top most slot that the video card sits in.

SHAWN said:
Your card should be in the PCI-e 16x slot not the 1x. Maybe thats why you had the problem booting. Its usually the top most slot that the video card sits in.

Nevermind about the PCI, I edited my quesition. It IS running in the 16x slot. The labeling on the motherboard is very confusing as it has 4 total pci-e slots but anyway...

350mhz is normal but depends on the brand. Some run at 350 whereas I saw others running ay 490. Who cares what you get in 3dmark in my opinion, how do your games run at 1280x1024? If they run great then dont worry about numbers.

Actually another reason why I was confused is because in the diagnostics report it says, "PCIE link width : 16x supported, 1x selected"

So I dunno what to think about that, but its in one of the two 16x pci slots

Is it in the top PCI-e slot? Rightclick on your desktop and go to properties. Go to the settings tab, then advanced. Look through the tabs and see if you can change it to 16x.

SHAWN said:
Is it in the top PCI-e slot? Rightclick on your desktop and go to properties. Go to the settings tab, then advanced. Look through the tabs and see if you can change it to 16x.

I looked through all the advanced settings in the nvidia menus, nothing on pci-e speed. "Hardware acceleration" is on max though.

I guess it depends on what way your looking at the motherboard but I think its on the bottom one because theres more space. I think its on the "PEX16-2" slot

Sorry I cant help you any more. Your going to have to wait for someone else to get in here for this one.

How are your games playing on top resolution?

WEll I got the card specifically for half life 2 and counter-strike source as an upgrade to the 6600gt. I can definitely tell a nice difference in the newer demanding maps like CS_Militia. The FPS doesnt drop down real low in parts of the game to where its unplayable anymore. Im pretty happy with it but suspect im not getting the most out of it. Higher resolution settings have about a 15fps improvement

I understand your feeling however I think that your fine being that your seeing a decent improvement. Also, I think your like me, and want to push everything to its best when you dont realize that what you have is working out just fine and your not having any issues! Someone should answer this tomorrow as it is kind of late. I'm up because I am doing data recovery :(.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom