Mpeg, .avi Files To Dvd

Status
Not open for further replies.

blake67t

Baseband Member
I have a Sony Still digital camera with video capture capabilities, and a Sony Digital Video Camera, and am wondering the following:

I have a little more than 5 GB of home video from both cameras, some saved as .AVI, and some saved as MPEG files. I am wondering before I purchase a DVD +R/DVD-R Burner, can I burn the .AVI files, and the MPEG files to a DVD-R disk and play the movies in a regular DVD player, like one not in a computer, such as my Playstaion 2?

I don't know anything about the DVD burning software on the market these days, as I have never messed with anything DVD burning wise.

If this is possible, what software do someone know that will convert my MPEG and .avi files to the DVD disk and allow me to play them like a normal DVD in a regular dvd player, not in a computer????

I really hope this is a possiblility, as I just keep adding more and more video to my computer as time goes on, and would like to free up some space, and have the ability to play my video anywhere there is a DVD Player.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated,

Thanks,
Blake

Best DVD making tool I have come across is "TMPGEnc DVD Author"

http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/index.html

It is a really cool tool!! You can create custom menus and such..and yes you can play these on a "normal" DVD player such as your PS2 or one hooked to your TV. I just made me a comedy DVD which contained Dumb and Dummer, Happy Gilmore, Half Baked, and The Waterboy.. :)

Basically before you can burn them into a DVD format they must be converted in several ways.

1) All the files must be in MPEG1 or MPEG2 format in order to convert into DVD format. I use "TMPGEnc" to convert ALL(.mpg,.wmv,.divx,avi, asf etc..etc) my movies into MPEG1 format as this ensures that they will be in proper form to convert them into DVD format.

2) Once they are in MPEG1 format I take them into "TMPGEnc DVD Author" and convert them into a DVD format which makes all the needed DVD folders (audio_ts & video_ts) with all its associated DVD files needed to view the movie properly such as .vob, .bup etc etc...

3) You can use any recording software that supports DVD recording to actually make the disc, but TMPGEnc DVD Author has its own built in recording tool!!! Which makes things very easy. Its all fun but requries a LOT of TQ and power for converting and such..I have just a 1.2GHZ machine with 1GB of RAM and it still takes it a while ;-)

Thanks a lot for the info, I am at work right now and will look into it probably this weekend. I appreciate you help. I have a 2.4 Ghz P4 with 512 mb RAM, so I think this will work out ok, I dont really care about the time it takes, I just want it done.

Are there any burners you know of that are not too expensive, and will do a great job of burning??? Or anyone for that matter??

Thanks a lot,

Blake

I'm not to familiar with what DVD burners are good or bad...but I have here at work an 8x DVD-RW drive that works awesome!! I havent even tried burnning at 8x DVD write speed since we only have 4x media, but I'm sure its fast. I have also used the 4x version. These all come with the new DELL's we purchase here at work. You should look at e-bay as they always have companines selling these Dell recorder for cheap!!

I am just wondering when you said, "4x media," that you were talking about like you have 4x dvd disks, or something else. Again, I no pretty much know nothing about DVD burning, im a noobie to the technology.

This is a stupid question, but I am trying to learn as much as I can about burning dvd's, as it is new technology, becoming more popular, and I am planning on using it in the mear future.

Thanks,

Blake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom