My 'Workstation' build

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do think a lot of people are overestimating 'next gen' games. The tech demos of Oblivion were sopposedly run on a 9800XT and they looked plenty amazing to me...

It's really a matter of if I want to buy something that can't play at full now, and wait to buy a better card at christmas. Or, I can buy a 7800GT now, because that's when I need a computer and at the end of the year I can upgrade to a better DX10 card and sell my 7800GT to my friend. It's a win win situation for the both of us. And here I never thought a double lifetime warrenty would be worth anything.

Thanks again. I'll make an updated list again and see if there's any problems... Currently $40 over budget and I'm likely to get a NV silencer and something else (adding about $60) But I'll probably get the main system up and running before I get that stuff.

Mk97 said:
Or, I can buy a 7800GT now, because that's when I need a computer and at the end of the year I can upgrade to a better DX10 card and sell my 7800GT to my friend. It's a win win situation for the both of us. And here I never thought a double lifetime warrenty would be worth anything.

Basically, thats what I recommend. Yea, that Double Lifetime Warranty can come in handy, lol.

Ok, thanks for all the input... haha I didn't think a GFX war would break out in the thread but I guess it did.

Here's an updated list of parts.

CPU Opteron 165
Mobo MSI nF4 Plat.
Case Aspire X-Plorer
PSU OCZ ModStream 520
GFX XFX 7800GT
RAM OCZ DDR500 2x1gb
Sound Card Creative Sound Card
HDDs
Seagate 160GB SATAII
Seagate 250GB SATA I
Optical NEC DVD Burner
'Just in case' Network card MSI Dual Net
Keyboard Saitek Keyboard
Mouse Logitech G7 (gift cards come in handy)
Exterior Sound
Logitech headset
5.1 Speakers
Cooling
Tt Blue Orb II
120mm Fans (replace/add to case)
Rounded IDE
NV Silencer
Other
Multi function panel I need some bloody audio ports on the front of the case(doesn't have any) plus I use a card reader a lot.
Astetics crap

Well, that about wraps up the list.

I can get all of it for about $100ish over my curren total budget which is ok.

Later I'll likely get some good fans that are quieter and I now have the crazy desire to mod a Zalman VGA cooler for the chipset on the mobo... That'll cost me about $50 total so I'll do it a couple months later I guess.

I'll likely get it around the end of Febuary... so close...

beedubaya said:
LOL, you so under-estimate this game. If it actually runs at that, I would almost give you money. There is no way a 7800GT is going to pull that off, we are talking about Unreal Engine 3!

Maybe its the Source engine you are thinking of....HDR...4x AA...still 50 fps.

Unreal Engine 3 will run at a slide show at those settings on a 7800 series card. Turn off the HDR, AA, soft shadows, and lighting to low, textrues to medium, and you might have a playable game at 1280x1024.

I heard the game is gonna be so powerful it will take nvidia 4 years to come out with a graphics card that can play it.

Mk97 said:
Ok, thanks for all the input... haha I didn't think a GFX war would break out in the thread but I guess it did.

Here's an updated list of parts.

CPU Opteron 165
Mobo MSI nF4 Plat.
Case Aspire X-Plorer
PSU OCZ ModStream 520
GFX XFX 7800GT
RAM OCZ DDR500 2x1gb
Sound Card Creative Sound Card
HDDs
Seagate 160GB SATAII
Seagate 250GB SATA I
Optical NEC DVD Burner
'Just in case' Network card MSI Dual Net
Keyboard Saitek Keyboard
Mouse Logitech G7 (gift cards come in handy)
Exterior Sound
Logitech headset
5.1 Speakers
Cooling
Tt Blue Orb II
120mm Fans (replace/add to case)
Rounded IDE
NV Silencer
Other
Multi function panel I need some bloody audio ports on the front of the case(doesn't have any) plus I use a card reader a lot.
Astetics crap

Well, that about wraps up the list.

I can get all of it for about $100ish over my curren total budget which is ok.

Later I'll likely get some good fans that are quieter and I now have the crazy desire to mod a Zalman VGA cooler for the chipset on the mobo... That'll cost me about $50 total so I'll do it a couple months later I guess.

I'll likely get it around the end of Febuary... so close...

Beautiful, how much does it come out to, total?

Alrighty..

The overall total is $1700. Well, 1699, but it's close enuf.
It totals $79 over my budget, but I think that should be ok. If not I'll drop the NV silencer and a few other things I can get later.

Add shipping and it's $1700 not including the psu I bought, which makes the total I don't have $190, but I don't think I'll have to pay for shipping.... so I think I'm ok there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom