Proposed Gaming Rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhick40

Baseband Member
I'm building a rig this summer, i don't have all the funds yet but i figure it'd be good to start getting this critiqued now, so that with your expert advice i'll be able to get agood rig when i'm ready.

Mobo: DFI LPNF4UT Ultra D
Processor:AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Memory:Mushkin Green Line Dual Channel 2gb (1x2)
HDD1:Western Digital Raptor 36gb
HDD2:Western Digital 250gb
Optical:NEC DVD+RW
GPU:eVGA GeForce 6600 GT 256MB DDR3
PoSup:XION 500w ATX 140mm
Case:Aspire Explorer Black/Blue

if you guys need links i'll gladly give them, and i've left a couple things open. first, i'll tell you my plans. im doing everything here with just the raptor and 1gb of the ram at first, its about 800. then, later in the summer i'll get the ram and wd250. can you suggest the best sound card under 30? also, will i need any cords/connectors or anything? i can't seem to find the exact specs on the mobo. and as far as cooling, i'll probably want something for cpu, gpu, and raptor. could you guys suggest those too? i don't think i'll need cooling for the ram, i don't plan on clocking it.:bald:

o yeah, does the mobo come with everything i need, because i have no idea whether the connections that come w/ the mobo will be ok for the power supply etc. im gettin.

Get rid of the raptor, it is a big waste of money and spend that money getting a better card.

For the sound card go for a creative.

If you are going to need the 250gb go for it, otherwise a smaller one will save you money for better performance else where.

Rounded IDE cables are always a good idea especially if you have a window in the case.

Make sure that the CPU is a Venice core. The M2 socket is due to be released soon, look into that maybe.

I read about M2. My shot-in-the-dark prediction is another socket 754 type thing. It's going to be the socket to skip. :)

As far as the Raptor drive goes, I disagree! It's totally worth your money. Keep it and enjoy the speed of ultra-fast boot times and loading your high-end games.

Ryan

A 6600GT is not cutting it anymore in today's games. Go for at least a 6800GS, which you can do with the money you save by getting a cheaper hard drive. Go for the 7800GT if you can afford it.

Well if your funding in june or w.e and you haave the money first upgrade your GPU....6600 GS wont cut it....Try seeing if you can get a 7800 GT by eVGA....and then when you have enough money and games start using the sli feature later this year buy another one and sli em.

FghtinIrshNvrDi is right, "Get a Raptor". I do agree the 36.7G raptor is a waste of money, you get virtually no storage with it's high performance. Get the 74G or 150G is at all possible.

As for Additional storage HDD's. Go with a Seagate Barracuda. The only reason I suggest that is because they now have a Full 5 Year Warranty. WD still only has 3 years.

If money is an issue, don't get a raptor at all, just grab a cheapy 80G Seagate SATA for windows, apps & games... and put more money in to a CPU.

Unknown Envy said:
Well if your funding in june or w.e and you haave the money first upgrade your GPU....6600 GS wont cut it....Try seeing if you can get a 7800 GT by eVGA....and then when you have enough money and games start using the sli feature later this year buy another one and sli em.

Holy ****. a 6800gs wont cut it? Not all of us have 300$ to spend on a stupid graphics card...

Here is what i would do...

Keep the 250gb HD if you need it, maybe go lower.
Go for a 3700+
Get 1gb of ram
Get a good sturdy 50$-70$ COOLERMASTER case
6800gs

That would do you good.

okay, is this any better?
DFI LPnf4ut slidr
athlon 3200+
Corsair TWINX 1gb dualchannel
Western Digital 200gb
evga 6800gs

note: i can't go with the 7800gt, because its too expensive. i could always get it instead, perhaps partly paid for bday etc. but as of now, all i can afford is the gs. this computer isn't just for gaming, and i think the money would be better spent on performance. plus, i can always go sli later if i want with this mobo, and its good for overclocking.

btw, the explorer is only 60 and comes with 2 fans, so i think i'll stick with it since i like it.
also, my previous question:

what will i need in addition to the parts listed?
and also, what will i need to clock, say to a 3700 level?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom