Could system bottleneck vid card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JiveTurkey

In Runtime
I have a 1.7 GHz Celeron, 4x AGP slot, 1 GB RAM, a 350W PSU, and a current 6200OC. I'm thinking about getting a 6800GS soon, but will the system bottleneck it? Is there anything else that could keep the card from working at capacity?

I would consider getting a bit more powerful PSU. 350W is cutting it kinda close to running everything that you have.

400W or so should do the trick.

The vid card upgrade will give you a huge gaming performance increase.

I new CPU wouldnt hurt, but if gaming is your main concern, go with the 6800GS.

Ok. I've been reading other threads and seeing the word "bottleneck" a lot. I was afraid the 4X would restrict it, or the CPU would lag it a lot. The 6200OC recommends a 350, but I noticed that it doesn't have a power plug-in on the card.

6800GS will consume a ton more power than the 6200OC. I believe the 6600GT has a minimum power rating of 350 watts, and the 6800GS consumes more power than the 6600GT does. As for seeing the word "bottlenecking" everywhere, its one of those words that if one person askes about out, everyone else has to ask about it too.

dude, a 1.7 celly with the 4x AGP slot will bottleneck the crap out of a GS, you're kidding me? you won't even get any better performance than what you have now.

Yea ... it's probably not worth it at all. Upgrade the CPU and PSU and then you can think about upgrading. It's most likely better to just build a new comp though.

although I agree that it will be bottlenecked, I agree with Elbatrop1 that you will see a huge increase in game performance...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom