please critique my gaming rig......

Status
Not open for further replies.

kikiboi

Solid State Member
i am still very much a newb, i just bought things that i have read pretty good things about. here goes....

Asus A8N SLI Premium (mobo)
AMD Athlon 4000+ San Diego (cpu)
Corsair 2x512 xms3200 400mhz (mem)
WD Raptor x2 10,000 rpm sata (HD) 74.8 gb
Samsung dvd-r/cd-r (driver)
NEC floppy
XFX nvidia 7800gt (Video Card)
antec 500watt (power supply)
Windows XP Home edition (OS)
3 com ethenet card (nic)

still have yet to buy a tower (any recomandation?)

please be honest, is it good, decent, or waste of money let me know (i got all that stuff for pretty cheap threw newegg)

mobo looks fine, get DFI if you want i think its a bit cheap.
If your OC'ing get OCZ ram or Gskill
get a eVga 7800gt

for a case i'd recommend antec there pretty reliable i have one myself.

Looking at your sli Mobo it looks like you may want to uprgarde to sli in the future...if so I suggest getting a eVGA 7800 Becuase you can overlclock them very well and still have the warranty and if you get another one when games NEED THEM (SLI IS A MONEY PIT) then you will be golden my freind.......2 GB of ram is nice too...:)

actually i have bought all that stuff already. and i spend around 1,400.00 so its not too bad especially being a gaming comp.

It's a good mobo despite what others have been saying and will do what you want it to.

10,000 RPM speeds are currrently not cost effective currently in my opinion.

I'd love to see you switch over to a starter Opteron or a basic X 3800+ over your current CPU choice.

Looks good, heres a few suggestions/questions though:

1. If you've got the raptors you might as well put them in RAID (redundant array of indexpensive discs) 0, so its splits the data between the two resulting in better performance. I've got my raptors in RAID, if I got to do it again though I'd of not gotten raptors and saved the extra money, buying a 200 gb hard drive instead.

2. Why did you buy on ethernet card? The motherboard already has one on it, you dont need that card. Don't put it in it will just hamper airflow.

3. Very nice ram, that kind is good for overclocking I believe do you plan on doing it? If you dont plan on overclocking you could have saved the cash and bought valueram probably. In the future you might want to get an extra gig at one point, even though 1 gb is pretty nice for now.

Everything else looks very nice, good choice of video card the 7800 gt is a very good price/performace card.

thank you so much for you kind critque. i dont know much about computers, but with the hard drives that was my plan, to run them 0 raid, and honestly i got both hard drives for a good deal, 2-- 74 gb harddrives (raptors) for 290.00 on new egg, it was like 160.00 with a 20 buck mail in rebate. (had to include shipping) and no i dont plan on overclocking because i dont know how too haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom