Building a new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

keithster

Solid State Member
Hello, this is my first time posting for this site.
I have a small question that maybe someone can troubleshoot it through a forum rather than paying someone $60 to load WinXP on my computer. I believe that this problem shouldn't be all that hard to fix. I recently just bought all of my parts for my computer and I typically put it together like any other computer, but this situation may be a little bit different compare to most computers. I'll layout the specification of my computer.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813190002

I bought a cheap TUL mobo with a PCI Express x16. It has a built in ATX X200 video card. It doesn't have a port for your typical monitor, but already I have another videocard going into it which is a ATX X700. That's where my port for my monitor is going at this time. Everything else is plugged in regularly. Now my problem is that when I put my WinXP CD in, it runs it's windows setup screen for DOS. And after all of the configuration is setup at the beginning, the initial setup of the WinXP and the Hard Drive format, the screen will go blank and my computer will just sit there idling with no CD running or hard drive light flickering.

It sounds like something totally simple to do, I just can't figure it out. I can only think of two reason which is the two graphic card are conflicting or it looks like I don't have a compadable RAM, which I already compare it correctly. I have no clue. Can someone help. I really don't want to take it to Geek Squad at Best Buy.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that my power plug-in on my motherboard has 24 plugs when my power supply would only fit 20 of them missing 4 of those plugs. You think that could be the case?

in your bios did you enable your addon gfx and disable your onboard gfx, it could be loading to your onboard by default. does your power supply have the 4 pin atx and the 20 pin, so that you can use the 4 pin instead of the 20 pin mine does thats why im asking. also if you goto dos you can enter fixboot and it will rewrite your boot, i know that has helped me more than once and you save all your hard drive info. i do know that i have built a few comps and put addon cards and had conflicts from not disableing the onboard ones in bios, and my comp would load all widows drivers then lock up. hope some or any of this helps.

I usually don't mess with my Bois too much just because I'm not educated in that subject. I can try to forcefully disable my onboard graphic. You know, I think I made a mistake about those extra 4 pins, I think they are laying around inside my computer that I forgot to plug in. I can try that, just hope that my computer doesn't catch on fire and burn up my investment.
Yay!!

your manual should tell you how to disable your onboard gfx, and plug and play should recognize your add on card on boot up, thus making it your default gfx card

You only need the 20pins (it only fits in one way).

You must create a RAID disc for the ULI southbridge. Create the disk with the motherboard CD and press F6 in Windows setup.

Well, I went back home to check my computer and all of my pins for my power are in the computer, including the extra 4 that goes separately. The best part is now that after I disabled my onboard graphics, my computer doesn't even beep anymore. It just sits there with absolutely nothing to run on the moment I turn it on. So now I can barely go into my bio or at all. I think I'm going to take it down to the store and see what they can do. It's starting to be a little out of my hand now.

I just hate spending the extra money after I spend the time making it.

i dont know what bios you have. but can when your in bios choose optimal settings or minimal settings?, they are default settings for your bios. if so i would try putting them on minimum first see how that works, ofcourse i woud enable my onboard gfx card again, seeing how that made it worse,. have you called the motherboard manufaturer and told them your problem?. seeing how its a new board im sure you would get free tech support, but would probally have to pay for phone call. but try your settings i was talking about, what ever its set at after reenableing gfx change to other. here is a trouble shooting link http://www.tul.com.tw/global/SpFaq.aspx and here is a forum with discussion on same or close topic, i dont think youll like outcome, so lets hope you can find its something simple. http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=65261

I just read the forum and that help out a lot because that is my problem. With all of the same issue that he as mention is the same as mine. Well, I think this is a done deal. I'm going to contact Newegg and see if I can return my mobo back to them so that I can still get my money back. Well, the result isn't horribly bad, I pretty much got what's my moneys worth. All in all, I really do appreciate the help 'Dgorner'. I'm glad you took your time to research my problem that I'm having right now. I'm going to see if I can find another mobo that suits my needs. Again I really appreciate the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom